1) Get Started: Planning

- Who is your Protagonist, and what does he or she want?

The athlete wants her team to win is not specific enough However the athlete is willing enough to do anything to make her team win is better.

-When the story begins, what morally significant actions has he or she already taken towards the goal?

'Morally Significant' does not mean your protagonist has to be conventionally 'good'; rather he or she should have already have made a choice that relates to the story.

-What unexpected consequences - directly related to the protagonist's efforts to achieve the goal - ramp up the emotional energy of the story?

Will the unexpected consequences force your protagonist to make yet another choice, leading to many more consequences?

-What details from the setting dialog and tone help you with the story?

Things to cut: travel scenes (unless something exciting happens), character A telling Character B about something that we just saw happening to character A, phrases like said 'happily' - Its better to say 'bubbled' or 'gushed' or 'cooed' depending on the context.

- What morally significant choice does your protagonist make at the climax of the story?

Your reader should care about the protagonist's decision. Ideally the reader should not bee able to see it coming.

Take some time to plan the outline of the story based on the above points....

Jam