Media - Piers

Hello. It's the day after I said I was in the hospital. I've left the hospital. My Switch Lite came in the mail today along with my copy of Pokemon Sword, so I started that. Kinda regret having watched playthroughs now and spoiling everything for myself, but whatever, it's cool. Anyways this was written on March 2nd 2020 to let you know when I wrote this.

It wasn't the fact that he had kissed his childhood friend and crush that he was mad at. Hell, it wasn't even the fact that someone had recorded it and it was all over the news. He didn't even mind Team Yell's cheering in the background.

It was the fact that he didn't remember kissing her. Especially not making out with her that passionately.

He tried to find at least a little satisfaction in the fact that he had managed to kiss his best friend, and especially that she seemed to enjoy it, but be just couldn't. He worried that she hadn't actually wanted it, and that she was just going with it to make him happy.

He felt even more guilty knowing that they were both so intoxicated that he had completely forgotten about it. He wasn't a lightweight, either. He could drink more than Y/N without even feeling the slightest bit tipsy, and if he had forgotten the night before, he knew that she would barely remember a thing.

God, Piers, he scolded himself. You can't be doing shit like this! You're supposed to be the responsible one...

He only hoped that Y/N didn't hate him too much.

-☆-☆-☆-

"C'mon, Piers, you've been all mopey since the other day," Y/N teased. She walked in front of him, her Boltund Jesse walking beside her.

She twirled around, holding a treat in her hand for Jesse. The Boltund ran around her, trying to keep up with the hand that held the treat, and occasionally jumping. She eventually tossed the treat in the air, and Jesse leaped up to catch it.

"You aren't usually this upset about anything," Y/N said, scratching Jesse on his head. "At least, not around me. That I've noticed of course."

He felt bad for not saying anything. She hadn't seen the video circulating around the internet. He had forgotten that she wasn't very active on any social media platforms. She preferred to interact with people face-to-face.

"Did I do something?" Y/N asked.

Piers was surprised. What would make her this she had done something to upset him.

"You're only acting like this around me," Y/N elaborated, almost as if she could hear his thoughts. "Don't tell me you're not. I've been with you almost my entire trip to Galar. You act the same around everyone else."

"I-it's complicated," was all Piers could respond with.

"Are you upset that I haven't had much time to visit lately?" Y/N asked. "Because I promise I've been trying to, but my schedule is just so busy that I've had barely any time to think, either-"

"Y/N!" Piers said, putting his hands on her shoulders to comfort her. He knew she started to ramble when she felt stressed. He could feel her muscles relax under his hands, and she sighed.

"Sorry," she muttered, leaning into him. The Butterfree in his stomach began to beat faster, making him feel more guilty. He carefully hugged her and rested his chin on her head, ignoring the whispers around him that were no doubt about the video of them kissing.

"You don't need to be sorry," he whispered back. "If you really want me to tell you why I've been... more upset than usual, it would be a better conversation to have in private."

His stomach attempted to tie itself into a knot in guilt when he felt her nod.

This is it... he told himself. He figured he could only hope she wasn't too angry with him.

-☆-☆-☆-

Piers watched her face closely as Y/N watched the video of them making out. He could see that her cheeks were starting to heat up, but he didn't know whether it was from embarrassment or anger.

When the video ended, she still had a blank look on her face, but she looked away, beginning to mess with her hair. He decided that at least her knowing what happened and being mad at him was better than her finding out later and being angrier at him for keeping it a secret.

"I-I'm sorry," Piers said, beginning to backtrack. "I shouldn't have- I know what I did was wrong, and I shouldn't have kept it a secret from you, but I didn't want you to be mad at me, and- And..." he stopped as he noticed her still being quiet. "If you don't want to see me again, I understand," he told her.

"Okay, you want to know a secret?" Y/N asked, still fiddling with her hair. Piers looked at her. "I'd barely had anything to drink," she confessed. She was looking away from him. "And this video didn't get the beginning. I was the one to kiss you first. I had assumed that you were still sober, too, when I kissed you, because it looked like you'd barely had anything to drink either. And it was only after the... events in the video happened that I realised you weren't sober." Her voice was getting quieter and quieter, to the point where he could barely hear her.

"And- And I had assumed that you didn't like me back and were only kissing me to make me feel better, and that was why I immediately started thinking that I was the reason you were upset," Y/N finished, whispering.

Piers was completely dumbfounded for a moment.

"And I shouldn't have kissed you without your permission, and I feel really bad because I had just sort of assumed you liked me back, which was a really shitty thing to do, and I'm sorry." She was basically trying to rip her hair out at this point, she seemed so nervous. "And now I'm just sort of sitting in your house admitting that I like you and you're not saying anything and I feel awkward for just sort of spilling my guts to you, and-"

Piers realized that he hadn't said anything and carefully placed his hands on her shoulder like he always did to calm her down. He ran his hands up and down her arms, calming her down more as he tried to collect his thoughts.

"I like you too," he finally responded. "Like, a lot."

He could feel Y/N laughing as she leaned into his chest. "All that and that's all you say?" she joked.

"Not all of us have a way with words like you do," he teased back.

"Oh, for sure," Y/N said. "But I would expect that the singer would be able to be more smooth with his words." She chuckled, her head still resting on his chest as he leaned back to lay down on the couch. She sighed. "What do you want to do now...?" she asked cautiously, almost like she was afraid he would reject her. "Like, dinner or something...?"

"You mean like the dinner we already had planned tonight?" Piers asked, chuckling.

He could practically hear her rolling her eyes, and she lightly punched him on the shoulder. "Like a date," she huffed. "You know what I meant..."

"Well, considering I was just about to ask, yes," he told her. "But don't think I'll forget that you asked me out before I could ask you out."

"Knowing you?" she laughed. "I'd have to be pretty stupid to think you'd forget, and that you wouldn't try to show me up..."