Chapter 39- Show Off (Part 3)

20 MINUTES BEFORE THE FIRE STARTED

"Kennedy, I'm just popping to the loo. Make sure no one sits in my seat please", said Miss Laine.

She left the room, opening random doors to find the toilets. 'This place is like a bl**dy maze', she thought.

"Snooping around already, are we?", smirked Carrie. "Lost home in yourself already have you?"

Miss Laine pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing. "What are you hoping to achieve here, Carrie?"

Carrie stepped closer. "If you think you're winning this competition you've got another thing coming. I won't let you take anything else from me."

Miss Laine sighed. "How can you say that? You're still concerned about that?"

"You knew I wanted that role, Addy! Yet you still auditioned for it", said Carrie.

"You told me too, Carrie! You said you didn't want to do it alone."

"Yet you still got the part. You never did tell me what happened. Did you bribe Miss Croakes?"

"She just gave me the  role! I tried to say no but she was adamant", said Addy. "I was always happy for you're success. We were best friends Carrie... I don't understand where it went wrong."

Carrie clenched her fists. "When you took my d*mn role, Addy! You always acted like you were the best. All hollier than thou."

Addy frowned. "That's not true. I never thought I was better than anyone."

Carrie shook her head, scoffing. "Save it. I don't have time for your lies. Let me show you what a real show looks like."

And with that, Carrie walked away.

Miss Laine sighed and made her way to the toilets, reminscing about the good memories with her former best friend.

-

A day later, everyone is called into the Theatre Room. Principal Reede stood in the centre, where Miss Laine should have been. "Students... due to recent events, I have no choice but to close the Theatre Club."

Everyone gasped. "Wait, you can't!", exclaimed Weronika. "Can't you just... suspend it? I don't know. Close it for a bit?"

Principal Reede shook his head. "No. My mind is made up", he said, frowning when he saw the sadness in everyone's eyes. "I don't want to do this... believe me. I was the one who proposed we create a Theatre Club in the first place."

"Then you'll know how much this Club means to us", said Isaac.

Principal Reede sighed. "You could've died. Even if you didn't enter the building, you could've damaged your lungs due to smoke inhalation."

"But, I didn't!", said Isaac.

"Two girls are in critical condition! And one boy's suffering from burns!", yelled Principal Reede, startling everyone. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted. But three people suffered terribly and Miss Laine caused it."

"You don't seriously believe she caused the fire?", questioned Amethyst. She may not have liked Miss Laine, or anyone in the Club, but she knew Miss Laine couldn't have done it.

"Yeah", said Camryn. "It's innocent until proven guilty."

Principal Reede sighed again. "I'm sorry. Like I said... my mind is made up. You're all dismissed."

-

Maxon kicked at the tree in Camryn's usual spot, groaning in frustration.

"Oi, hey, that tree didn't do anything to you", said Camryn.