The Romance of The Rain

It was raining when Marinette walked out of school. She paused underneath the extending roof to stay dry as she watched the rain. The sound, the smell, the colours of the gloomy sky, it was always so inspirational and almost romantic to her. When a voice next to her greeted her and she looked to see who it was, she immediately turned her head with a little "Hmph."

She could hear Adrien sigh sadly as he opened his umbrella. "I just wanted you to know, I was only trying to take the gum off your seat, I swear." Something in his voice made her turn her head again to look at him. In the dark of the rain, he seemed like a ray of sunshine. He started to walk away but after only a few steps, he stopped himself. "I've never been to school before... never had friends. It's all sort of... new to me." He turned back around to look at Marinette and shrugged sheepishly. 

He stretched out his arm and held his umbrella, offering it to her. However, all she could do was stare. The world around her seemed to freeze. Maybe it was the rain. Maybe it was the look in his eyes. Maybe it was the kind gesture. Whatever it was, something inside her sparked. When she finally let herself return, she reached silently for the umbrella, never breaking eye contact. That is, at least, until their hands touched.

A slight glow caught her attention and she looked down at her wrist. Adrien must have done the same because she heard him inhale. Once more, the world froze as the two teens stared at their glowing soulmate timers. Neither of them moved. Neither of them spoke. 

After what must have been over a minute, a voice startled Marinette back to the present. "M'Lady?" Adrien asked shyly.

"W-What did you just say?" Marinette froze at his word. One single word that could change her whole life. Something on her face must have given away that she knew exactly what he was talking about. Or maybe he just got swept up in the romance of the rain. Or maybe, it was the magic of their soulmate marks. Whatever made him do it, Marinette didn't care.

Adrien stepped forward and wrapped a hand around her waist, pulling her gently close to him. Looking into his eyes, her body went weak, the umbrella falling discarded somewhere beside her. The rain fell softly and quickly onto the two as they gazed into the eyes of each other for a long moment more. 

After what felt like a wonderful eternity, he spoke.

"Don't fur-get me on the rooftops tonight, M'Lady. I think we have a lot to talk about," He smiled his regular flirtatious Chat Noir smile. The Ladybug in her, however new she was, made Marinette roll her eyes at the pun, breaking their eye contact. However, rather than be offended or even broken out of their seeming trance, Adrien just laughed a gentle laugh. After a moment, Marinette couldn't help but join in. They stood there like that, together in the rain, for a moment before Adrien's driver honked his horn. They both turned to look and frowned.

"I'll see you tonight, Marinette." Adrien leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on her cheek before pulling away from her. Without another word, he picked up the umbrella, handed it to her once more, and walked towards his car.