1. Rock Hunt

You weren't super stoked about this field trip you were going on. I mean, It wasn't like you didn't want to go but you had no one to enjoy it with. This field trip was going to be a fun experience, and your friends decided to bail because they thought it would be boring to stargaze, and learn about all of the different stars and planets in the sky. You on the other hand, were ecstatic about going. That is, until your only friends decided to not come at the very last second of planning this field trip.
Instead, you were stuck with a bunch of nerdy teens who either only talked about video games, or chemistry (the most boring science there is.)
You decided to not let one little thing get you down, and to enjoy the time you have with yourself.
"Alright kiddos, group up in pairs of two!"
Your teacher explained that each pair of two will be hiking through the mountains to find one crystal or rock that was on the sheets each of you had.
"Greatttt" you thought to yourself.
You had to try and find someone who was willing to go hike alone with you and look at rocks. How hard could that be?
Apparently really hard.
Everyone seemed to be quickly getting into pairs of two. Someone even whispered to their friend to pair up with you because they felt bad. Your face felt hot, you were embarrassed. Being one of the only people without a partner, you decided to tell the teacher if you could just work alone.
"That seems a little dangerous. Besides, one partner needs to be the navigator, and the other needs to look for the minerals." Your teacher explained.
"Yeah, I know but just this one time please? I mean there's no one to pair up with here. Look around."
Your teacher looked around for a second, then spotted someone picking daisies.
She pointed.
"How about him?"
You looked over to see a boy around your age, with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. He seemed to be having way to much fun picking daisies.
"I- uh.." you started.
"Hey Varian, get over here!" She motioned at the boy to come.
You froze.

He was cute.

Really cute.

He came over, daises still in one hand, and smiled at you.
"Varian, this is going to be your partner y/n. Y/n meet Varian. Okay you two good? Great. Start searching!"
She left the two of you alone, looking at each other.
"I'm uh.. y/n."
"I'm Varian." He gave you a warm smile.
You both shook hands and looked at each other for a couple of seconds before he started walking toward a trail.
You quickly caught up with him and walked beside him, acting like you were reading your rock treasure hunt map, when really you were thinking about how cute his hair was when the wind caught it.
Maybe you made it too obvious that you were gushing about him, because you were smiling at your rock map, and blushing HARD.
He looked over at you and raised a brow.
"Wow, you must really love that Sandstone."
You looked up at him, confused.
"Huh?"
"Your face is really red, are you okay?" He seemed genuinely concerned which made you blush harder.
"Oh JEEZ, do you need water? I think I have some in my backpack, let me just-"
You took his hand and opened it palm facing up.
"What are you doing..?" His face seemed to be getting red now.
You laid a rock in his hand.
He looked at you funny, but smirked.
You just didn't know how to talk to him, how to be around him. Everything felt so awkward. At least to you it did.

"I found the first rock." You said in the most monotone voice.
He giggled.
Why did you have to speak in a monotone voice? Were you THAT nervous? And why was his laugh so cute-
No y/n you have to keep it together. You can't gush after a boy. Even if his eyes ARE dreamy.
You both continued to walk down the trail, looking for rocks as you go.
"So, y/n tell me why you didn't have a partner to begin with?"
You sighed.
"My friends kinda ditched me. I mean, they don't have the love for science like I do. I thought this was going to be fun with my friends but-"
Varian put one hand on your shoulder and looked at you.
"Now you're stuck with me."
You looked back up at him and giggled.
"So tell me Varian, why didn't you have a partner."
He thought about it before answering.
"I guess I just like randomizing my options. I mean yeah, it's fun being partners with your friends but I like getting to know strangers. You know, strangers are potential friends." He smirked.
You thought it was adorable how friendly he was.
"Yeah, that actually makes sense. I mean who knows, a stranger that you've just met, could become someone that your friends with for life."
He looked at you and smiled for a second before looking back on the trail. You noticed that he was thinking. He gets really quiet when he's thinking.
He bit his lip and continued.
"Do you ever feel a connection toward someone you've just met?" He blushed.
You looked at him, starry eyed. Was he saying what you think he was saying?
"Yeah I suppose so. It's like chemistry."
You were too nervous to say it. But you felt this strong chemistry with you and Varian. You both had just met though, so it couldn't be chemistry, right?

I know I said I would be doing One-shots, but I'm definitely making a part two for this ! I'll be doing one-shots in between this mini story. :) hope you enjoyed!