Crowned The King Of New York

My eyes flicker open and I momentarily forget where I am. But then I look around and see where I am and I remember last night. I undo the cloth from my hand and look at my hand, it's still gory, but the bleeding stopped. Noticing that Spot is nowhere to be seen, I realize he must have headed out by now.

I make my way off the bed, finding the place we entered from and leave. I instantly recognize where I am, I'm right a couple blocks away from home, in a rundown area. But I've been around this part before, so I can find my way back.

After a couple minutes of speeding through alleys and roads, I run to the gates hoping that no one notices me, but of course, everyone does.

"'Ey, Sweetheart! Where was you last night?" Race asks, I think up a lie.

"I had to go get some fresh air, but decided to stay the night at a friend of mine's house," I explain. Jackie raises an eyebrow.

"Which friend?" He asks, I think up a name.

"Kathrine, she's from school," I tell him, which he returns with a nod. "Anyways, what have we got planned for the strike?" I can see Jackie's smile grow wider.

"Well, ya see, there's da wagons wit da papes that delivah to here, right? Well, wese gonna get rid of dem! No more papahs, no more sellin'. Neat, huh?" He explains with a smile, I nod.

"Sounds awesome, Jackie!" I encourage him. As the gates open, we all crowd the wagons, knocking them over and tearing up the papers. In the distance, there are non-striking newsies, so we charge up to them, surrounding them.

"Throw down your papers! Join the strike!" Davey yells at the non-strikers. A bunch of the non-strikers rip up their papers and join us. Someone brought tomatos, so we start throwing at the Delancey brothers and Wiesel.

I can see Denton is writing everything down from afar. Suddenly, there's people showing up. I can't tell who it is, because I'm too short compared to the other newsies, so they block my view. But as soon as I see who it is, I can feel my soul drain from my body. The cops.

"Cheezit! It's da bulls!" Jack yells. I don't need to be told twice before I take off, but I end up getting tripped by a newsie on accident. I get up in time, but as I glance to the left, I see my best friend being pulled away by the Delancey brothers. I try to run after him, but I'm held back by Race.

"Hey! Youse just gonna end up being taken, too! That won't do no one no good! We's gotta run!" Race tells me. I know where he's going, the Refuge. I don't want to go back, so I nod and follow Race out of there.

We all make it back to the Lodging house. after all calming down, I find Jackie, who looks upset.

"Me and Davey are gonna sneak inta the Refuge for Crutchie. I know youse best friends wit him, so I was wonderin' if ya wanted ta join us?" Jack asks. I think about it for a moment. I really want to help him out of there, but I know that I'll break down into a mess just by seeing the Refuge. I shake my head.

"I really want to, but I can't. If I go back there, only bad things will happen. I get upset just by thinking about the building, so I have no idea what would happen if I actually went there again," I explain, Jackie nods.

"I get dat. And I'll be sure ta tell him dat dat's the reason you can't help 'im, so dat he doesn't hate ya," Jackie says. I nod and hug him.

{Timeskip to next morning}

I wake up to find a letter on my chest. I open it, quickly recognizing who it's from. Crutchie.

"Dear, Ash,

Jack came by last night to help me out but I had to tell him that I was too hurt to make it out. But anyways, I wrote this so that you know that I understand why you didn't come visit. You is my best friend and I wouldn't want you to go through seeing this place again. The food isn't half bad though! Well I think. They haven't brought us any. When I get better, I'm going to get out. And once I get out I'm going to give you the biggest hug you has ever had. I miss you, Ash. And I hope you miss me, too.