Sunlight Flowers

Don't forget to favorite and follow me for more stories!

+++

Daramethe would never admit it to anyone except her beloved husband, but the spring festival was her favorite. All the new flowers, and warm air after the dark cold of winter. She could Red the days after winter solstice with a greedy eye on the pot of crocus bulbs that sat in her workshop window.

As soon as they bloomed, and the weather was warm enough, the festival was on.

Officially it lasted three days three days of fun, and leisure. Three days where the crown, Daramethe herself, provided bread and meat for anyone willing to wait a bit as it cooked.

Of course, everyone knew that as soon as the flowers started to open, the festival was near at hand.

Presently, Daramethe was flat on her back in the grass as a trio of girls, the oldest barely ten and the youngest almost five, braided dozens of daisies into her hair.

It would be a terrible mess later, and she loved every minute of it.

It also helped to ease some of her Lightning Witch reputation. It was hard to be afraid of a woman who let children make a mess of her hair and danced barefoot in the grass.

She was a wood-witch first, and Dara would be hanged before she gave up the little joys of life.

Joys such as her husband, who was in the process of talking up his youngest apprentice's courage. The lad was getting ready to propose to his sweet beloved, but was badly hampered by his own shy nature.

She was going to accept. Dara heard the girl and her sister talking only a few days earlier.

If the young apprentice did t manage the feat soon, his lady was going to throw him over the back of her horse and ride off with him.

Dara may have offered to help. Jason roared with laughter when she told him about the brash young lady's plan. Her parents would certainly have a difficult time disapproving if Daramethe was involved.

"We're done, Lady," the oldest of her three girls told Dara shyly. Dara day up and gave her head a careful shake. The flowers stayed put, and so she planted kisses on the cheeks of each of the three girls.

If she slipped gold coins into each little pocket, well, that would be her secret.

"I will wear them all evening," she promised them as they laughed with her. "My nobles will be jealous. Flowers are much nicer than jewels."

"But only mothers wear flowers to the evening dance," the second girl said with wide eyes. "Mama said it's tradition!"

"You can't say that to the queen!" The youngest girl chided fearlessly. "She's the Queen!"

Dara laughed.

"Can you keep a secret?" She asked conspiratorially. "It's a very special secret."

"We can keep a secret!" The middle girl promised fiercely. Dara couldn't wait to see what the little warrior grew up to be in a few years. "Especially for you!"

"We're the bestest secret keepers," the youngest agreed, cute as a button and just as determined as her oldest sister. "The bestest."

"Well, if you're the bestest," Dara said with a smile and leaned in close. "I'll be a mother very soon, so I'm allowed to wear flowers too."

The thought of the tiny life-spark growing beneath her navel was still a wonder, terrifying and exciting in one. Her hand strayed to her belly, and a smile grew across her lips even as her eyes found her husband again.

His apprentice was in knots once more, and Jason's gentle steadiness was helping to calm the boy.

He would be a wonderful father. She always knew he wanted children, for all that it had never been the right time.

Fourteen years a good man's wife, and now, at last, they were ready for a child of their own.

Of course, it hadn't taken much trying once her anti-pregnancy charm came off. Only a moon later she discovered the little life-spark, cradled inside her belly, small, but strong.

Their baby would have her magic, but she selfishly hoped the child took after her husband in heart.

No heart beat truer in any man.

Feeling her gaze, he looked over and smiled at her, soft and happy in the warm spring sun.

And then his eyes dropped to her hand, where it rested over her navel, and went wide. Tentative hope filled his gaze, wary because it was early yet, and they had only just began trying for a child.

When she nodded slightly, light beamed off his skin, golden and brilliant as he ran for her. Dara barely had time to get to her feet before he had swept her into his arms, wordless with excitement.

Her court saw the mother-flowers in her hair, her husband's sunlight joy. With a roar that echoed off the walls, they began to cheer for their pregnant queen, and her happy husband.