Winter Solstice Part I- The Spirit World

Fei's POV

Lying down looking at the sky while flying over the clouds, you can hear Katara talking about how soft the clouds look. While Sokka with a mocking tone says, "Maybe you should give it a try".

"You're hilarious". Katara looks at her brother with annoyance.

"I'll try it!" I heard Aang exclaim and then leap off Appa laughing with joy.

Surprised I quickly approach the edge of Appa's saddle, but I can't see Aang. Suddenly Aang appeared behind us, dripping wet and had a big smile.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water", Aang informed and dry himself.

I smile knowing that Aang is fine. Aang looks at me which makes me feel butterflies in my stomach.

"Hey, what is that?" I heard Katara ask and I looked in the direction she was looking at.

I gasp when I see a black area burned in the forest.

"It's like a scar," Sokka said.

Aang landed Appa on the barren patch of land to investigate it.

"It's so quiet. There's no life anyway." Sokka stated.

I look at Aang with concern and ask, "Are you okay, Aang?"

"Fire Nation! These evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-"

Katara shushed Sokka angry rant.

"What? I'm not allowed to be angry?" Sokka whispered angrily.

Katara pointed at Aang, who is slumped over.

Aang dropped to the ground scooped up some ash, letting it slip through his fingers. "Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?"

"Aang, this doesn't have anything to do with you." I slowly approached him.

"Yes it does. It's the Avatar's job to protect nature, but I don't know how to do my job", Aang argued back.

"That's why we're going to the North Pole," Katara told him. "To find you a teacher."

"Yeah," Aang looked back, "A waterbending teacher. But there's nobody who can teach me how to be an Avatar. Monk Gyasto said that Avatar Roku was supposed to help me."

"The Avatar before you? He died over a 100 years ago, how are you supposed to talk to him?" Sokka ask.

"I don't know," Aang said sadly. Momo jump into his lap for comfort.

I look around and take an acorn. I call Katara's attention to help me.

"Hey, Aang. You ready to be cheered up?" Katara asked Aang. Aang respond with a No.

I pelts an acorn at his head. "Fei! Ouch, how is that cheering me up?" He ask me.

Sokka asked to be cheered up and seconds later a acorn was hitting him in the head too. "Ow... Yeah, I probably deserved that."

I approach Aang and take his hands while I tell him.

"These acorns are everywhere, Aang. That means the forest wil grow back! Everyone of these will be a tall oak tree someday," I paused for a moment, opening his palm and putting the acorn in it before closing it. "And all the birds and animals that lived here will come back."

Aang smiled. "Thanks Fei." I smiled back but looked behind him and gasped. A man was walking up to us slowly.

"Hey, who are you?" Sokka ask with a hostile tone.

The man ignored him and walked up to Aang. "When I saw the flying bison I thought it was impossible, but... those markings, are you the Avatar, child?"