7

Hermione sat at her desk, staring at her timetable for nearly an hour. There were eight weeks until term ended and she needed to drop a class, possibly two. Or three.

She'd gotten so close. Graduation was just around the corner and she's almost managed to reach it with her academic record intact.

She kept trying to rally for the final haul but she had nothing left to rally.

She fainted twice in as many days, both times in the library. The first time she'd ended up in the hospital ward for an entire day. The second time she'd been in such a rarely visited aisle in the Restricted Section, she woke hours later and found herself lying where she had collapsed on the floor.

If she was feeling well enough at the end of June, she would still try to sit for the NEWT exams of her dropped classes. That was her hope.

She wasn't sure what the point would be- beyond her obstinate attachment to the idea, but she was doggedly determined to do it in direct refusal to the pleas of Harry and the Weasleys that she leave Hogwarts. It wasn't as though curse-breaking clinics or hospitals had NEWTs requirements from patients. Or that anyone cared about Hermione graduating except Hermione herself. It wasn't as though anyone was going to say, "Well, at least she graduated before she died."

Were they going to put it on her tombstone as her crowning achievement? 

Hermione Granger: graduated Hogwarts with eleven NEWTs

She wanted to graduate. She'd always told herself she'd graduate one day.

Se dipped her quill into the inkwell and hesitated. Taking a deep breath, she drew an X over History of Magic and Muggle studies. After another moment's hesitation, she crossed out Potions as well.

She dropped off a copy of her revised schedule to the Headmistress on her way to Charms.

She no longer had a double period of Advanced Potion-making, leaving her with a long, empty afternoon. She went back to her room and napped. She had reading to do, she had several reports due in Herbology, two Runic translations and an equation for Arithmancy a day overdue because she'd been in the hospital ward when she was supposed to turn them in.

However, she had no energy for any of it. She slept instead.

It was late evening when she woke. The quarters smelled oppressively of nauseating draughts, accentuated with the sharp tickling scent of freshly bruised leaves exposed to fire. Without a word, she went and sat at the far end of the worktop as far from the heat of the bubbling potions as possible.

"I couldn't help but notice that you were absent in class today," Snape said in a cold voice, after several minutes. "I trust it was your health that forced you to stay back? If it wasn't absolutely necessary, however, I must inform you that it has to be a twenty point deduction from your House."

Hermione looked up and was quiet for a moment. "I-...I've withdrawn from Potions." she finally said, watching him carefully to see his reaction.

His expression didn't so much as ripple, however his hand stilled briefly before continuing to add ingredients.

"I can't manage the practical aspects of Potions on my own, so it seemed like a poor use of my physical resources to continue attending." she said in a steady, rational voice. "I've also dropped History of Magic and Muggle studies. I informed Professor McGonagall this morning that my workload was too much. I'm hoping to sit for the theory portion of the NEWT exams- if I'm stable enough."