Chapter 1: Beginning

-

Nobody is ever really sure how to write a good beginning to a story. I don't hold the knowledge either. Where should I begin? About the time he first took a life in Minecraft, or when he first did it in the simulation? The time the resolution started, or perhaps when all of it came to an end. It's confusing.

Even still, sitting behind cold, dead bars, I wonder how it all started.

"Okay, well, Floof is barking now so I think it's the best time to end the stream. Thank you guys for watching and I'll see you later today when I upload the Skyblock video. Mbyeee-", cut. That's it, stream's over.

He takes a big sigh of relief. Today, he was in a call with three different people at the same time. It's draining, really. He wishes he could just be alone for once, with nothing else to do but play video games. Sadly, it's what he usually does, but you know... minus the socializing bit.

He loves talking to friends, he really does! It's just that his social anxiety takes away the fun in it very often. His palms get sweaty, he gets dizzy and his heartbeat gets faster and faster with each passing second. It gets hard to breathe - he keeps telling himself to calm down, but overthinking things just gets all of the reassurance messed up in his head and it usually ends with an excuse and a reason to have to get home immediately, just to succumb to another month of silence towards everyone. 

He wishes he could stop, but it doesn't work. You can't fix mental illness by wishing it away hard enough.

He hears his door open and realizes he's been thinking for a while now, so he takes his headphones off and places them on the table.

"How'd the stream go, Arthur?"

"It was good, thank you. I killed CaptainSparklez in Hunger Games," Techno boasts.

"Yes, I saw! Well, I made dinner, so if you want to come down, and get some..." the man continues.

"No, thanks, I'm good. I think I'll just go to bed."

The man sighs and sits on the bed beside the table. He's got that look, you know the one.

"Look, I know things aren't all that great around here- and trust me I understand-"

"It's not about you and mom," Techno interrupts. "It's your decision, I understand. I just feel really tired, I promise."

"Well... If you're sure..."

"I am, really." He's smiling now. "It's okay. I love you, dad."

"I love you too, Arthur."

His dad looks a little happier now. More relaxed. Maybe that's what he wanted to hear. Reassurance. Everyone needs it sometimes.

"Well, I'll be downstairs if you need me."

"Great! Goodnight, and also, thanks again for watching the stream."

"No problem, Arthur."

It's really sweet of him to do that. Not many parents support their child in their pursuits like that, especially when it's a career that unstable, like YouTube. But, Techno's glad.

He spent a little more time thinking, then turned off his computer, jumped into bed and stared at the ceiling. He wasn't planning on sleeping yet, no - he had to check if the new episode of his favorite anime was out already. He'd just snooze for a tiny bit until getting on his phone. He just shut his eyes for a second or two. However, he saw the sun come in through the window.

Damnit, he overslept again.

He put his hand on the counter beside the bed, hoping to get a hold of his phone to check the time, but felt grass in his fingers instead. Actual wet grass.