Chapter 29. Distance relationship problems...

❗️Since I don't want this book to end right now, I had to come up with something, so: From now on, Drama. Please try to keep an open mind until things settle down. Try not to judge anyone rashly and keep an open mind. Even if it's hard, because sometimes things aren't what it seems.❗️

Chapter 29. Distance relationship problems...

The first week after the departure from Yibo, Zhan was doing quite well. They had a tearful goodbye and held each other in their arms for a long time. But eventually they had to let go of each other and let Yibo get into the taxi.

Zhan had cleaned the house on Sunday, the day after Yibo's departure, painted the walls in the basement and afterwards he sat in front of the TV for a series marathon at Netflix. On Monday he went to university, studied, talked to friends, studied, did homework, studied and waited for Yibo's call. But Yibo did not call. He wrote a note to Zhan saying he couldn't make it. The time difference and he was just too tired.

Tuesday went the same as Monday. But Yibo had tried calling Zhan. Only too bad that Zhan was sitting in the afternoon class and couldn't take the call. After the class he tried to call Yibo but unfortunately he couldn't reach him. So he wrote Yibo a message that he loves and misses him and thinks about him a lot.

Wednesday was no different than Monday and Tuesday. This time Zhan tried to call Yibo during the lunch break and was lucky. Even though their conversation only lasted three minutes, at least they could hear each other for a moment. And so it went on until Friday.

If they managed to talk on the phone, it was only for a very short time, but it did Zhan good to hear Yibo's voice and so he was fine. On Saturday they talked on the phone for almost two hours and talked about all kinds of things.

Because of the time difference, they agreed to switch phone calls to the weekends. But during the week they want to write each other all the more. Actually, Zhan wasn't happy about it, because even if he could hear Yibo only for a moment, he felt better and didn't miss him that much. But he also understood and finally agreed unwillingly.

But quite soon Zhan had to realize that Yibo wrote less than expected. Often Zhan waited hours for at least a short answer. It annoyed him. Because if they couldn't hear each other, he at least wanted to read from him.

Then it was also said that Yibo could not call on Saturday because he was going out with colleagues. He wrote to Zhan that the team is now complete and they want to celebrate that. On one hand Zhan was happy for Yibo, but on the other hand it made him angry. But he still wished Yibo a lot of fun.

And when Yibo wrote to Zhan just before the following weekend that he would not have time to phone again, Zhan was furious and didn't write anything back.

He felt so hurt and angry. He kept wondering why Yibo couldn't even take five minutes to call him. It can't be that hard, can it?

So instead of waiting for a call that wouldn't come. Zhan sat down in his car on Saturday and decided to go back to his old hometown after a long time to visit his parents' grave. To put some new flowers on the two graves again, to talk to them a little bit and maybe he would look in the woods for the old abandoned building.

Since the battery of his phone was empty, he left it at home. Anyway, he did not expect anyone to call him. Since Yibo left, their mutual friends had hardly contacted Zhan.

Zhan was not surprised. Seungyoun and Li Wenhan both have relationships and prefer to do something with other couples and since Yibo is not around, Zhan would be nothing more than the fifth wheel.

Zhan arrived at the cemetery after he had bought fresh flowers at the garden center and cleaned the two graves. He pulled out the weeds and planted two more rose bushes.

"You know, now that Yibo is overseas and I hardly hear from him anymore, I often feel like I did when I was a little boy. I feel lonely and somehow excluded and empty. And lately I've been hearing that twin engine airplane every day. I haven't heard it for three years and now I hear it every day, no matter where I am." Said Zhan as he stood at his parents' graves trying to see the plane, what he just heard.

"It may be exaggerated, but I already feel like I'm going to lose Yibo. It is a deep-seated feeling. Often when I had a bad feeling something happened. And this time the bad feeling is stronger than ever. Is the thing I'm most afraid of really happening? Am I gonna lose my husband?" Asked Zhan and wiped the tears from his eyes.

"My husband hasn't called me for two weeks, hardly writes. My friends don't have time for me anymore. And my other family lives in South Korea, where I can't just walk by. All I have left is the house where I live alone and my studies. I am so alone and my heart feels so heavy that I just want to cry." Said Zhan crying at his parents' grave.

After two hours at the cemetery, Zhan drove into the village and went to the pension where he used to talk and drink with the old lady. But when he got there, the pension was no longer there. Zhan asked a neighbor, who told him that the old lady had died two years ago and her pension was closed.

Then Zhan drove to the abandoned house in the forest. He parked his car at the side of the forest and walked to the house. The path had become almost unrecognizable and had become quite overgrown.

Zhan didn't really believe that the house was still standing. But he was wrong. It was still there. More run-down than before, but still standing. And, someone had obviously taken the trouble to remove the board from the front door.

For a moment, Zhan wondered if it was really a good idea to enter the house. But like then, he was still attracted to it today.

Carefully he entered the house and went straight upstairs to the room where he had been spending the night. Everything still looked the same, only dirtier and much more leaves from the trees were there. Also two skeletons of animals, but Zhan didn't recognize them.

He sat down by the window on the rusty old chair and looked outside. Up here the windows had not been nailed up. And all of a sudden, Zhan felt like he did when he was a little boy again. Lonely, alone and empty, just like this house.