prologue

✿

The horizon began to swallow the sun, faded streaks of color painting the sky. A light breeze flitted through the forest, stimulating the vegetation to dance and animals' ears to perk. The air was still cool though and the sky clear, clouds beginning to disappear from the awakening scenery. The distant call of birds echoed as they fleed back to their nests and frogs croaked a glum melody. The earth was still alive yet it appeared as an alternate reality with day overturning to night.

Within the dense forest, the undergrowth was shriveled my the paws and pelts of a small group of cats. Two cats took the lead of the group, one a creamy presence appearing as if she was welded of clouds and stars and the other the same, though spots like mud were painted across his longer snout and his paws. A smaller cat strut behind them amongst four others, his image mirroring his father's. He seemed to hold a different rhythm between his steps though, almost as if he was crossing a lake iced over in the middle of leafbare.

The others marched along with power in their every step, their eyes glinting as the sunlight reflected off of their gazes. An unknown purpose drove them forward, one that made the designated occasion special and different. Their pelts were clean and they kept close to one another, a serious tint hidden in their expression. They walked along as if they were the kings of the forest, and their prey watched them with curious, longing gazes.

The further they padded through the forest, the more it began to clear up. The scent of salt stung their noises and their ears perked at the distant sound of roaring waves. Through the space between the remaining trees, their gazes fixed on the stunning sight of the ocean ahead. The ocean they only now knew from kit tales and legends, since their paws had been unable to walk across the banks for a few moons. Ever since AsterClan arrived and claimed the cavern near the ocean, it was only a mere story to be told to those who were unable to witness its alluring sighting.

The tides rose and lapped at the sandy bank. The smallest of the bunch found his gaze transfixed on the ocean, fascinated by the sighting. He had only managed to see it once just before AsterClan's arrival, and now he found himself spectating it for what felt like the last time. The sun was swallowed by its rolling tides with its light masking over the surface. It twinkled like the stars spotting a midnight sky, and his eyes mirrored the marvelous sighting. His ears swiveled forward to admire the echoing sound of the waves crashing against the surface, and he felt the urge to shut his eyes and stay amongst its presence for the rest of eternity.

"Pay attention, Adonus," the stern voice of his father commanded him.

Adonus turned and slowly nodded to his father, glancing out towards the ocean one final time. Besides the stinging sensation that flared through his nostrils from the ocean, he found his muzzle twitching as another strange scent overcame him. His pelt bristled in alarm at the scent he had only witnessed a few other times, and his gaze scanned over to his mother and father.