8 | Flora

Richard stared at her incredulously. "Sorry, but you want to go where?"

"Wayne Tower," she repeated, not sure why he seemed so surprised by this.

"What for?" Richard scrunched his face together as if the idea made him cringe.

"Uh, don't you think your dad should know what's going on?" Barbara rolled her eyes towards the high ceiling. "I just want to talk to him. See what he has to say."

And see what he might know, of course. But Barbara didn't find it particularly helpful to speak that last part out loud. Sure, she trusted Richard... to an extent. He was more than helpful and proved to be an important source of information. But why should she show her cards all at once? Especially when he wasn't showing his.

"Believe me..." Richard raised his eyebrows so high they nearly touched the dark strands of hair hanging down his forehead. "He knows exactly what's going on."

Shit. This meant she had to reveal more than she intended. "Well, there's something else too. I don't know if I should tell you this though." Barbara fiddled with a lock of orange hair. Just like she hoped, Richard snapped his head towards her with obvious interest.

"What is it?" He leaned forward on his chair.

"This is strictly confidential, okay?" Her voice dropped to a whisper as she moved in closer. Richard nodded eagerly, nearly falling out of the chair. "My dad told me Bruce is the GCPD's number one suspect." Okay, that wasn't exactly true. But it was pretty heavily implied.

Richard remained for a moment as if to consider this. "So there are no others?"

Barbara shrugged, trying to play it cool. "I don't know. He didn't say anything about that. But it's pretty clear Bruce is who they're honing in on."

Richard tapped his chin and frowned. "I don't understand. Bruce? Why would he go after his own employees?"

"Well, he's the common link between all the victims." She gave another overdramatic shrug. "So unless he really is behind the disappearances, then it's obvious he's being framed."

For a second, Richard shut his eyes and Barbara feared he saw through her bullshit and would reject her notion to go to Wayne Tower. Hell, if she were him, she would do the same. But when they opened again, they were alight with a newfound spirit that burned like a bright blue flame. "Let's go then. It's just across the street, anyway."

Barbara couldn't help but smile to herself. Damn, if she wouldn't have made a great cop. She would've cracked even the toughest suspects out there. "Let me just tell Mrs. Kringle we're heading out for lunch."

After collecting her things, Barbara rolled beside Richard towards the circulation desk. The head librarian was so engrossed in her paperback novel she didn't notice Barbara until she cleared her throat.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Mrs. Kringle quickly shut her book and set it aside. "How's your research coming along?"

"Very well. I've learned quite a bit." Barbara smiled at her. "I was wondering if I could go on break now?" She looked at her watch. "It's nearly noon."

"Of course, dear! There's no need to ask for permission. I'm not a slave driver." She chuckled.

Barbara's grin widened. "Right, just wanted to make sure. I didn't just want to walk out or anything. That would've been rude."

"Go ahead! You've been studying for hours. You need a break, and in fact, I do too." The woman pulled out a container from one of the drawers and placed it on top of the desk.

"Thank you, Mrs. Kringle. I'll see you in an hour." Barbara waved at her before continuing for the front doors.

"Here, let me get that for you." Richard rushed forward and pushed the door open with his back.