Prologue: Odd Tidings

You gently preened the mistletoe and laid it in your basket. Your cuttings were lovely- fresh- and would sell wonderfully in town. You smiled and thanked the bush as you trimmed it. Your profits from this haul would keep you in good standing throughout the winter.

You were known to locals for your healing abilities. You could mend any wound, erase any scar, correct any malady. They were thankful to be blessed with such a talented healer, but wary. Something you understood and respected. Therefore you kept your distance- living in a comfortable cottage on the outskirts of the town. Surely you received guests, but all in all it was a lonely existence-- Just you and your dogs on snowy slopes.

It was nearing dawn.

"We best get going, fellas." You shouted to your dogs as you loaded your sleigh with the clippings. "It's almost dawn and we need to get to the market today." The dogs panted and growled playfully, waiting excitedly for the command. You strapped your feet in and adjusted yourself, "YA!!!" And with a woosh you were off.

Your mind ran through your to do list as you called commands out to your dogs. You were completely accustomed to the bumpiness of the sleight and the snow burning the soft skin of your face- making your cheeks shine a rosy red color.

"We'll go back home. Repack the sleigh. And head into town. If I get there for 7AM I'll be able to set up the stall by 8 the latest and hopefully sell out by 12. So I should be able to... HALT!" you hollered causing the dogs to stop. You quickly undid your straps and ran towards a large mound off the sleigh's path.

You slowly approached the mound. It was barely moving, but seemed to be in immense pain. You laid your hands down on the object. Perhaps it may be a moose or a very large deer.

It was neither.

You cocked your head and brow, "Hello?" You said gently laying your hands upon the form.

Labored breathing was your only response.

There would be no market today.