Part 5 - War is Politics With Bloodshed | Chapter 7

The Tekran Empire's constitution made clear that, in the event of a catastrophe that renders the entire Earth-based line of succession dead or ineligible for office — either because they're dead or because of an 'unforeseeable circumstance,' such as potential alien corruption — the Tekran in charge of the planet of Tehkria, the birthplace of the Empire and the Tekran themselves, is to become the next imperator. A new line of succession would then be created based on relation to the newly appointed imperator. The law was more a relic, intended to placate those Tehkrians who were dissatisfied with their planet's lot in galactic politics rather than to serve as a proper line-of-succession law in case of galactic emergencies, but it was the law Xertaza was compelled to follow, and enforce, in that critical moment.

From the moment the Imperator had died, and Earth's surface was overrun by alien monstrosities, Lassarha Tekran was the lawful imperator of the human galaxy. Of course, this did not mean that she was the right imperator, nor did it mean that the rest of the galaxy would follow her, even if she was the legal claimant. However, Xertaza wished to support whoever who would be best able to fight the aliens, and, as Heralax Tekran had started a civil war and divided the entire human race while it was facing extinction, he was, to Xertaza, clearly not the best choice for one focused on the alien threat. This, combined with Lassarha's legal claim to the throne, and added to the fact that she almost certainly did not attempt to have her colleague Cehlarxan murdered, made her an altogether better candidate: Xertaza, in that moment, made up her mind as to who she would see crowned. Xertaza then had to quickly make up her mind as to how she would see this person crowned, before the entire galaxy rose up against her.

Quickly compiling a textcomm and distributing it to as many people as she could reach — including the Military Council — Xertaza invoked the Tekran constitution, recognized Lassarha as the legal imperator, provided legal documentation that made clear Lassarha was the rightful claimant, and additionally espoused a fair amount of historically-based pro-Lassarha propaganda. The fact that it was her doing this may have helped to mitigate the political damage that Heralax's manifesto could do: the Ministry of Interstellar Security's police force was a respected symbol of authority, justice, and, most importantly, coolheadedness throughout the Empire, and if they were telling the people to support an imperator, the people of the Empire might just listen. Of course, legal documents were hardly an apt counter to a revolutionary spirit: in the event that people did not heed her call to arms against the usurper, Xertaza gave further orders to her forces across the Empire to attempt and spark pro-Lassarha revolts in the pro-Heralax revolting worlds, using lethal force if necessary, but exercising restraint to as to preserve Lassarha's image, and not give Heralax even more propaganda fodder. Labeling Heralax's cause an insurrection shortly thereafter, Xertaza then made it clear to all that anyone who followed it was a "Traitor to the Empire and humanity" — titles she hoped would, at the very least, ensure the loyalty of her own people and sow doubt in the minds of others.

As a propaganda wave decrying the members of the Military Council as incompetent, oppressors circulated, combined with not-so-subtle statements implying that Xertaza and Lassarha could be aliens themselves, it became clear that Heralax's powerful position was also entrenched, for far too few revolting worlds showed signs of rejoining Lassarha's empire. As countless planets were riven by conflict, and the threat of a civil war promised to bring devastation to countless more, a coalition of nearly four-hundred influential worlds issued a joint pronouncement of neutrality in the civil war, stating that their primary goal was fighting the aliens rather than their fellow man, and backing up their words with the promise of military force against any side that attacked them — as well as threatening to join the side opposed to any aggressor. The speed at which this bloc had formed was a testament not only to the speed and efficiency of modern communication, but the necessity for such collective security in a time of unimaginable strife. Indeed, this coalition was notable not only because it contained a fair number of powerful worlds with mighty navies and robust armies, but because it was to no small extent lead by the oft-despised world of Kalithihar. Many concerned populations, who felt no great attachment to either Lassarha or Heralax, saw protests and even riots sparked in favor of the Neutral League, while many planetary militaries, unwilling to be partisan, strongly encouraged their governments to join the Neutrals, or instead fell to infighting. On some particularly riven worlds, all three sides, supported by both the military and civilian populace to varying degrees, began to battle each other on the streets; the Aliens had brought chaos to the galaxy, but only humanity could create such anarchy as was seen then.