The Final Pirouette of My Life [4]

Chapter Four: I See the Light~ 

Maria's POV

I was a complete idiot.  I was! I had just managed to chuck my muddy, pointy high-heel into the face of the most attractive guy I had ever met.

            Way.

            To.

            Go.

            He was now whimpering on the floor with blood gushing from his forehead while I tried to mop the mess up with the trail of my dress... as if *that* was working.

            I was an idiot!

***

Justin's POV

I thought I saw a light.  Honestly.  It was blinding.

            My eyelid hurt like @#$% but I slowly managed to open it a millimeter.  Damn, my face hurt.  Mostly my forehead.  I felt paralyzed and stunned; and so, so confused.

            What had just happened, again?

            Thoughts flashed back to me in a split-second.  *The criminal.  The dark hallway.  The dance studio.*

            "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE," I screamed as loud as I could, in attempts for someone to hear and call the police, therefore saving me from this criminal attacking me-perhaps even murdering! Except, I couldn't scream very loud at all so it came out as "Eh-ee-eeey-o."  Great.

            The light was giving me a headache now but I forced my eyelid to open more.  I could make out the image of an overhead light now, and something else... Something moving... Something obstructing my view.

            "You spoke," whispered the sweetest voice I could imagine.

            ?

            Suddenly the light above my head disappeared completely, the eclipse swallowing it whole.

            In its place was...

            Oh my god.

            It was the girl!

            Black locks spiralled down from her head to my cheeks, and her sparkling gray eyes bored down into mine.  Her pale, pale hands scooped a chunk of hair out of the way and placed it behind her tiny ear.  Her rose-red lips spoke, just as I imagined her voice to sound after all those days of watching her: "Are you okay?"

            It was the most amazing moment in my life.  Obviously, I was dead, and this was heaven.

***

Maria's POV

"I'm okay," he croaked.  He tried a weak half-smile, which was *adorable,* and he fully opened his eyes.  I leaned back from him and now he squinted, because the lamp was shining straight on him again.  I lifted out a hand and he took it, and I pulled him to a sitting position.

            "You sure?" I asked.  "You're bleeding."

            "I'll be fine," he smiled again.  God, he was cute.

            "I am *so* sorry, you know.  I-I thought you... Well it's kind of stupid but I thought you were some robber or wild animal... Or, even worse," I shuddered, "my ex-boyfriend Chad.  I would have *died* if you were Chad! Him, I'd let bleed to death."

            I quickly blushed and regretted that whole paragraph.

            "Why the hell did I just tell you that..." I whispered to myself harshly.  But there was something about him that was just so... I don't know.  *Inviting.*  Maybe it was that smile, or those baby-blue eyes... whatever it was, I felt as if I could trust him with my deepest secret.

            He laughed softly.  "It's okay," he said, staring into my eyes.  He was captivating; emancipating.  Was this what they called 'love'?

            He stood up and dusted himself off.  I did as well, and slipped on my heel again.  It had some blood on the point, which disgusted me, but what else was I to wear on my feet?

            "Hey, I know it's late, but..." he scratched his head.

            "Yes?"

            "I don't know.  Never mind."

            "No, what?"

            "I was just going to ask if you wanted to grab some coffee, or something to eat, or, I don't know..."

Justin's POV

Where were my pick-up lines when I needed them?!?!?!?!

Maria's POV

"That sounds lovely," I smiled back, shutting him up.  Despite myself, I grabbed his hand in mine and led him toward the exit.

            Chad was completely forgotten.