Chapter 9

“Aww how sweet. Isn’t she just ravishing, Daniel? Molly, beautiful Molly, perfect Molly; it’s no wonder why I couldn’t kill her. Look at her face. So innocent, so tortured. It’s no wonder you love her. You see her every time you close your eyes. You smell her, every time you breathe. You taste her, you crave her. Now you have her! Ah, blissful; but Daniel, I too have Molly. As long as she lives so do I, and as long as she fights it, I haunt her.” Molly’s lips moved with the words, her blue eyes were black, her skin paler, more translucent. Her voice was old, evil, and scratchy. And the presence familiar, sickening and sweet.

          “You…You’re her mother then. But…how? This isn’t…isn’t possible.” Danny stared. He was perplexed by the spirit inhabiting his beloved Molly.

          “Daniel…I am smarter than that. You can not die if your soul is not contained. You see, I sold mine. As I did with part of hers. She can’t die anymore than I can. If you want to save your precious Molly, then you have to save me too.” The black clouding Molly’s eyes faded. The presence faded.

          “Danny? Are you alright? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost…” Molly spoke softly. The concern she felt was thick in her sweet voice.

          “I’m fine Molly, now get the letter. We’re gonna go find Jason.”

          The letter directed Molly back to the “Necromancer’s House” where she had been kept. It stated Jason would be outside of the compound, five miles into the woods. Molly and Danny arrived around midnight and circled around so as to get there unnoticed. Danny was careful to watch his step so as not to give away their position. He went through the woods for five miles with the amulet on him. Molly was closer to the compound, a knife in her boot. The two headed into the same direction, scrutinizing for details and straining to hear soft noises. Safety was a top priority when people wanted you dead.

          Danny was trying to focus on the task at hand, his hand lingering near the knife at his side, the small pistol in waistband of his jeans and the small blade in his sleeve. His skin was prickling from the cold air and light clothing that he had worn so as to provide some stealth. He couldn’t help but think of Molly. Molly; who was in leggings, combat boots, a camisole and a sweatshirt, had to be freezing. Danny kept pushing the thoughts of her away and focused on finding Jason.

          Molly’s skin was icy cold and prickling with goose bumps. She was shaking from the cold while constant shivers crawled up her spine. Molly crept silently, knife in hand, ever closer to the target. She could see the clearing northeast of her; Jason would be there. So she continued forward. Looking in every direction, when the figure was there.

          It stood in place, head cocked to her, hair shaggy and falling to the side with every movement. It moved forward, and slowly approached her, lifting its hands so as to appear unthreatening.

          “Molly, it’s me.” The figure’s voice rang out. She stopped and ran to him, locking her arms around him and embracing her brother.

          “I thought you were gone…” Molly mumbled into Jason’s chest, he hugged her tighter and then taking her wrist, dragged her back towards the woods and towards Danny. Danny touched her other hand, and held it. Molly felt her legs give out under her. The world she knew went black.