Part 33

Chapter 33

I know that no matter how long I live and no matter what I try I will never be able to banish those last moments with Derek from my mind, they were burned directly into my heart. "I love you forever." He breathed into my ear "your so pretty." His cold lips upon mine softly the taste of him the feel of his heart beating under my fingertips and then the cold, it was cold. As he began to walk away slowly he continued to hold my hand and then my fingers slid through his grasp and he dropped my hand turned and walked away. I wrapped my arms around myself hugging tightly in a gesture that didn't help. I shivered as wind whipped across the landscape. Derek turned to glance back over his shoulder at me giving a tiny weak smile his eyes shining gold sparkled with tears as the gates to the den clanged shut between us. Locking us eternally apart. Daniel raised a hand to me and I managed to give him a weak smile as he walked away hand in hand with Lizzie who looked simply radiant and alive with the proximity of her mate. Daniel lifted a hand to rest on Derek's shoulder he turned to look ahead but didn't shake him off which I guess was his way now of accepting the small comfort. They climbed into me and Jamie's former car which Darius had given them , I hoped that it would break down but no the damn car started and pulled away smoothly and turned the corner and he was gone, I could just stand there and watch as my heart was torn from me. I shivered and grasped the cold metal of the bars, almost instantly my hands started to burn from the silver coating but I didn't pull them away. Pain after all is better than nothing if you feel pain at least you know your still alive. Strong fingers gripped mine and begun pulling them from the bars. I winced inside as I saw my raw red bleeding flesh of both my palms. I felt hands move to my shoulders and turn me around slightly and I was scooped up into a hug. I allowed my tears to flow as I was enveloped by the warmth of a large chest I was pressed into. A single sniff told me the arms belonged to Ashton. He held me tightly as I just cried myself out onto his chest. As I collapsed exhausted he simply picked me up with the same degree of tenderness and carried me back to the den and placed me back in my bed, all of which he did silently which I was thankful for after all what was there to say.

I growled trying to balance my cup of tea and bundle of files on my arm and open my office door as I could hear the phone inside ringing. I had recently begun working back in the office sorting the files again, it was better that I was doing something being busy helped. the door finally opened and I stumbled into the room. throwing the files down I grabbed the phone.

"Hello."

"Your late" a playful voice said my heart fluttered from the sound,

"Hey baby."

"You know your supposed to be in the office by 9 and its 9.02" I laughed. I had honestly been amazed the day after Derek left when Darius had called me to his office and presented me with a single sheet of paper containing Derek's address and phone number. I had frowned, but Darius' response had simply been,

"He's your husband." so this had been our contact phone and letters it wasn't much but it was more than I had dared to hope for. I was so thankful for even that little even though I would have done anything to fall asleep in his arms again. I knew Derek was struggling being away from the pack but I Think Darius had been very clever with his role he was patrolling the outer rims of our territory supervising rogue activity as an enforcer this was the job he knew, and it seemed there was enough to keep him busy. I knew eventually he would work with his brothers again the second there was a big enough threat to warrant it. It would be a long time as the pack still mourned for Jamie, but I knew how much rejoining the pack even temporarily would mean to him.

"Well I'm sorry if our office hours are not acceptable to you."

"how are you baby?"

"missing you."

"I miss you too baby."

"I'm actually glad you can't see me though I look like a hippo."

"I Wish I could see you Carl says your blooming, it made me want to strangle him with the phone cord." I smiled as I sat down in my Chair looking at the picture of me and Derek on my desk as I gently stroked my swollen tummy.