xii

but i promise you

i'll never be invisible again 

Time seemed to slow down. Encaladus stood above them, spear poised to kill. Hina's feet were sinking into the earth, the ground urging her to give up. She almost gave in to its soothing voice, her eyes locked on the spear head making its way towards Jason's chest.

Hina thought back to everything she had lost in her life, and she hated the thought of watching Jason die before her eyes too.

Leo's voice ripped Hina from her thoughts, "Heads up!"

A large metal wedge slammed into Encaladus, sending the giant toppling into the pit of the crater.

Hina could barely breathe.

"Jason, Hina! Get up!" Piper yelled, filling Hina with energy. Her cloudy thoughts dissipated. Piper scooped Jason from Hina's arm while Leo grabbed onto Hina. Her mind was still spinning as Leo led her towards the construction equipment a few feet away. 

Leo sat Hina down on the ground behind a long cannon-like machine with a single massive piston, the edge broken clean off.

"Are you okay, Ina?" Leo asked urgently, glancing back over his shoulder towards the battle. Hina could only manage a nod, as she struggled to regain her breath.

Encaladus struggled to rise to his feet from the crater, a large ax blade was impaled in his chest plate. 

He managed to pull the blade free, yelling in pain. Golden ichor soaked his armor.

Shakily, he bent down and retrieved his spear.

"Good try." The giant winced. "But I cannot be beaten."

As they watched, Encaladus's armor magically mended itself and the ichor stopped flowing. Even the small wounds littering the giant's legs that Jason and Hina had worked so hard to make were pale scars. 

Leo ran up to Jason and Piper, with Hina in tow.

"What is it with this guy? Die, already!" 

"My fate is preordained," Enceladus said. "Giants cannot be killed by gods or heroes."

"Only by both," Jason said. The giant's smile faltered, and Hina was sure she saw a little fear in the giant's eyes. "It's true, isn't it? Gods and demigods have to work together to kill you."

"You will not live long enough to try!" The giant started stumbling up the crater's slope, slipping on the glassy sides.

"Anyone have a god handy?" Leo asked.

Hina wished should could have said yes. They were short one god, and had an angry giant making his way towards them.

"Leo," Jason said, "if you've got a rope in that tool belt, get it ready."

He charged, no weapon in hand, towards Encaladus.

"Enceladus!" Piper yelled. "Look behind you!"

It was an obvious trick, but Piper's voice compelled the giant to turn quickly.

Jason charged Encaladus, tackling his leg and sending them both tumbling down into the crater again. 

The giant rose, Jason clinging onto his meaty neck. Hina watched in stunned horror, as Jason scrambled around Encaladus's head as the giant tried to knock Jason off.

Then the sky darkened and menacing clouds hovered over them.

"Hit the deck!" Jason yelled.

A loud crack sounded through the mountain.