Chapter One

We have grown apart

Nothing is left between us

Except memories

    China was telling a story to us, his brothers and sisters. Me and my brother sat on his lap, while Japan was on the ground and had his hands on his chin. Russia was nowhere to be found; we never saw him anymore. Taiwan and Vietnam were to the left and right of China, kneeling. Hong Kong was joined Japan on the floor, sitting cross-legged.

Philippines, Singapore, Cambodia, India; they weren't there. Just like Russia, they didn’t come to hear China tell stories. I was holding Hyung Soo (North Korea)’s hand, his slender, pale fingers a testament to his sickly health. Our hands matched exactly, since we were twins, except mine weren’t pale or sickly. Our thoughts matched exactly, our words, our opinions. We were inseparable, and nobody could change that.  

“I love you.” I whispered to my brother. Hyung Soo smiled at me. “I love you too, aniki!" he said, grinning.  

My brother had beautiful eyes, but I hadn’t seen them for many years now. I cling to these memories of simpler times. I’m still struggling with what happened. He grew closer to China and Russia; we fought more and more, until I couldn’t take it anymore. One day he called me a traitor and I left our house, never to return. He didn’t need me anymore; therefore, I didn’t need him either.  Sometimes I wish I could see him again; but if I went back, he would do anything but smile. He would kill me. That’s what I was now, his enemy. Nothing else, nothing more than that. I wasn’t his brother anymore.

I miss his delicate face, his pale, flushed, beautiful, ugly body. I missed his rosy lips, soft words, and quiet manner. But this person was gone now. My little brother was no more. I still clung to the hope that somewhere within that monster lay that innocent angel.

I sighed and set down my blue laptop. The edges were scratched and the apple on the top was anything but white. Some of the vowels had fallen off, and the letter t and l. I really needed a new laptop, but this one was a gift from Hyung Soo; I couldn’t just throw it away.  

My cell phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out of my loose blue jeans and typed in the password. “One new text” It said at the bottom. I tapped on the message icon and read the text.

Help me. It said.  What? Who was this from? Nobody ever texted me. My phone was basically a pointless existence. I looked at the top of the message to get a clue about who it was.

The name Hyung Soo was at the top of the message.  

I grabbed my coat and ran out of the door. My flip-flopped feet snapped against the pavement as I dashed down the street to where my brother lived. I tripped on the pavement and landed on my hands and knees, scratching them up pretty badly.  

But I didn’t care. I had to help my brother. I pondered what could have happened. No contact for years, and then this? Something very serious must have occurred. I pushed away thoughts of torture and sickness And kept running.

Hyung's house quickly came into view. It was so different then back when we had shared it. Concrete walls surrounded the premises, with barbed wire a for high on top of them. His flag was posted on all four corners of the walls. I walked up to the key pad by the door into the compound and, after hesitating for a moment, typed in the date of the day we separated. With a twinge of heartbreak, the door swung open. I ran quickly across the yard, trying to ignore the guard dogs barking at me from their posts. I rammed the door open, and burst into the house. It was barren, gray, spotless.  

Except for the trail of blood. I gasped, hoping and praying that this wasn't Hyung's. I followed it from room to room, cautiously. At the end of the hall was a large black metal door. The trail of scarlet blood went right up to it, and. I was guessing that it continued to the other side.

."Hyung Soo da-ze?" I called, wavering a bit. I heard a scream form the other side of the door.

"Yong!!! Please, help me!!!!!!!" I froze. That was My Brother's voice. 내 동생. Nae dongsaeng. I drove my shoulder against the door, twisting the knob, and fell into the room. I almost vomited at what I saw.