☽დ T W O: A Birthday to Remember PART I

☽დ

At the table, with his hands clasped and resting against his mouth, Quinn stared straight across the way. Guinevere sat at the very end. Her shoulders up to her ears, sitting in the silence.

The male witch's brows furrowed, his lips in a tight line while studying the child. 

They sat in silence. Awkward silence, really. For Guinevere at least. She fidgeted in her seat, uncomfortable as she wiggled around. 

Her confusion was evident to Quinn and though he didn't intend to make the child uncomfortable, he was also trying not to scare her by blurting things out. He needed to contemplate on how to approach what he needed to discuss with Guinevere.

Alas, the silence became too much for the child. She peered over at the male witch, her voice so tiny in a whispered, "Did I do something bad?"

The question instantly made Quinn sigh, shutting his eyes and lowered his hands as he straightened. He tilted his head, staring at the gray-eyed child.

"It's not that you did something... bad, Guinie..." Quinn paused, frowning as he tried to word things better. "It's... It's more like you did something---impossible."

Guinevere's brows furrowed, curiosity in her face now and she tilted her head. "Im---Impossible?"

Quinn nodded. 

"What's---what's that mean?"

"It just means..." Quinn raised his brows. "That when something happens that shouldn't."

Again, he reiterated to Guinevere that it wasn't bad. Not this time. 

Pursing her mouth to the side, Guinevere peered over at Quinn. Again she whispered her response. 

"But am I in trouble?"

"That's hard to say, Guinie."

"Why?"

"Because... Because this is mind-boggling. Even for a witch like myself. Witches aren't even capable of doing what you did, Guinevere."

The child blinked a few times. She was feeling more and more guilty and now she wasn't sure what to do or say. She sat there, pouting. 

Quinn noticed this and sighed again. He assured Guinevere that she wasn't in trouble. That he shouldn't have said it like that. He didn't mean to make it seem like what she did was bad but it was still just hard to comprehend because Quinn and Talon, along with the rest of the coven, was supposed to be able to help Guinevere with things like this. 

As she is a werewolf half-blood child who inherited her father's and grandfather's special abilities, Guinevere apparently was born with more than the two werewolves before her. Guinevere's abilities were unnatural. Even for them. 

"But why?" Guinevere frowned. She didn't understand. She didn't even know that she was not supposed to have magic at all. Her father and Gampy had magic but nothing like hers, apparently. Guinevere just thought this was normal.

But here was Quinn, one of the paired witches to guide her and her magic, telling Guinevere how unusual her magic was. Impossible, as Quinn said.

"Q...?" Guinevere's tiny voice made the witch stand and walk over to her. He knelt in front of her, turning her in the chair to look at him. 

Quinn brushed the side of Guinevere's head. He sighed again; something he does a lot with this child. 

"I'm sorry, Guinie. I didn't mean to scare you. That's my fault as the grownup. But we're going to figure this out, okay?" He waited for the pouting child to nod slowly. "Talon and I won't stop wanting to guide you with your magic..." The man grinned, shrugging a shoulder. "Even if Talon gets jealous that you're better than her."