Snow in the City

It's the way the people dress, the way hot coffee becomes the main drink of the season, the way department stores bring out all of the holiday decor, the way my roommate slash best friend haul ass from the closest Macy's back to the apartment carrying a six foot pre-lit tree because we're too lazy to drive out to the farms, and the way snow makes everything feel absolutely magical.

"Hey, I'm off to the coffee shop now. Meet me there before my ship ends? Maybe we can go stop by the store to buy more garland. The banisters are looking bare," Mae, my roommate slash best friend, shouted from the kitchen. I was in my room, sitting at my desk that faced the window, just looking outside. In front of me was a sheet of paper and a brain full of barely-there ideas of how I wanted to spend the month of December. It was something I had thought, yet I had no motivation to actually write anything down, but now, now was the perfect time.

"Willa!"

I found my way back to reality and turned my head slightly. "I'll call you when I'll head out! See you later!"

When I finally heard the door shut, the walls shook and that caused the window to rattle just slightly. The apartment Mae and I shared wasn't the most glamourous or expensive. Her two jobs and my one job barely made enough for rent, but we made it work. 

As I sat there I lifted my arm onto the desk and rested my chin against my palm. Within a couple of seconds, I exhaled softly and counted to five and then like clockwork the snow began to fall.