Chapter 1

Chapter 1

8B2 - Present Day - 1212

The motion of the train beneath my body was a silent hum against the machinery whirring inside of my false skin. I could feel we were moving at 85 MPH, whirring through the skyscrapers surrounding our capital city. 7C3 was across from me and 981 was beside me, both staring ahead as stony faced and stoic as myself.

7C3 was built like a man in his mid twenties. His face was shaped strongly, his skin light, and his eyes a shining clear blue, his hair a dark chestnut. Civilians couldn't see, but when I looked close enough I could see the machine whirring beneath them.

981 was built like a man in his mid twenties also, his face round and his skin dark. The whites of his eyes were clear against his face and I could see his muscles bulging less conspicuously then 7C3 beneath his dark skin.

I am 8B2, built like a woman in my mid twenties quite similarly to my comrades. My light brown hair is framing my face in layers. I know my eyes are hazel and my face is shaped like a diamond with a spattering of freckles across the bridge of my nose. By looking at me, you could never tell that my arms were made from platinum and my face was plated in metal.

We all look like humans, simple, normal humans, incapable of anything interesting. Skull is metal, arms are false. I can unplug them if I need to. My legs are fully made from metal although my combination blood runs through them.

I blinked once then inhaled, my paper lungs inflating.

My torso is covered in real skin, over the metal that protects my organs, some human, some machine. Together we are a group, we always work and fight together. We are bulletproof to fit the tasks needed of us.

Our purpose is to serve our government, protecting doctors, professionals, scientists,  and transporting them from place to place.

Aforica is the greatest country amongst the eleven countries that make up this Earth. We are responsible for many technological breakthroughs, planted the first colony on the moon and built the space station circulating over us now. We have a colony on Artica researching what may live below the ice.

Our assignment is to secure Dr. Iveki in Aforica Co where he will be staying for the next seven months. When our scientists begin a project they are required to work for months at a time.

My companions and I must make sure he is safe throughout the journey, as many people do not approve of his work.

As great as Aforica is with our creations and technology, many people who are not as advanced as us choose to live rather petty lives in the sewers. And not all of them stay in the sewers. Many like to show us what they think with their guns and clothes which is why I am me.

Our technology is new, we are some of the first to be created successfully. I don't know what happened to the people who weren't.

The train is white, seats lining below the windows and poles to help us stand. It is a passenger train, although today it is empty aside for Dr. Iveki, who I assume is in another compartment.

Perhaps he is on one of the other three trains, one running below the city, another through a river, or this one winding past the skyscrapers like a roller coaster track. And if one were to attack this would be the most obvious because the others are kept secret.

After 47 minutes, 2,854 seconds, a gunshot rang out.

I could hear it ricochet after shattering glass. The sound of footsteps landing on the aluminum train roof crushed silently, perhaps several feet left of where I was sitting.