1: THE CHASE

"Funny that you say that," mused Five. "You won't leave here alive."

A barrage of gunshots pelted you both, decimating the dilapidated interior of Griddy's Doughnuts. You and Five avoided them with ease, spacial jumping back-and-forth so as to confuse your attackers.

"For heavens sake, Five, can you not go anywhere without causing a scene?" you sighed, veering an incoming bullet.

Five shot a calculated glare at you. "In case you didn't notice, I didn't choose to be wanted by assassins. You're one-half of the problem, anyway!"

The last of the assailants fell with a thump onto the blood-smattered ground. Five wiped sweat off his brow, his hair clinging to his forehead.

"Let's go," you said in a strained vice, grimacing at the decimated shop. Wordlessly, he interlaced his fingers with yours, allowing you to feel the ebb and flow of his powers. With a ripple of light, the two of you traveled back to the Hargreeves mansion.

"Your jumps are getting better," he complimented. "No splices in the space-time fabric."

You shrugged in nonchalance. "It's because you've been less distracted lately. The more focused you are, the easier it is to take on your abilities."

"Not being stranded in an apocalyptic future is a big plus, for sure," he said sardonically.

"There's our Five. Salty as his coffee is bitter."

He rolled his eyes. "What was I supposed to say? Enlighten me, O Wise One."

You laughed, ruffling his hair. "You're funny."

"Well, you're certainly not."

You arched an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

"No, I was kidding."

You shook your head. "Alrighty, then. Could I ask you something?"

"What?"

Five, why do you always hold hands when we spacial jump?" you asked.

"So you don't get lost."

"Really?" you questioned, propping your chin up with your hand. "I think you're just getting soft."

"Am not!" he protested.

"Five Hargreeves, you're such a softie!"

Klaus breezed by in a haute couture dress, no doubt borrowed from Allison's closet. "Would the old married couple please explain what just happened?"

"Yes, little Five's looking quite frazzled," said Diego. Luther and Allison nodded in agreement.

"Are you both alright?" asked Vanya, worry apparent in her eyes. You nodded, while Five shook his head.

"We were just out for coffee, when hitmen from the Commission started whaling bullets at us. We're fine, though. Not a scratch," you explained.

"You're fine, but I'm not," countered Five. "I will never get over how much sugar you put in your coffee!"

"Says the guy who inhales peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches like air!" you retorted.

"Still, what kind of person does that?"

"A normal person," suggested Luther. Klaus high-fived him from across the table.

"I know I'm not normal," deadpanned Five. "I'm extraordinary."

Allison rolled her eyes while you tried to stifle a snicker. "How modest of you, Five," you fired back.

"Why should I be?" He gestured to himself, shooting you a wink that tugged on your heartstrings and elicited a loud groan from Diego. "Loverboy, you can flirt later. We have work to do."