Chapter 4 : Dangerous Lies

Raiden watched Sakuya as she was sitting down in front of the Jinsei Tree to regain her strength. Her right hand was touching the trunk and all the muscles of her face were relaxed, she seemed in peace. But The Thunder God did not forget the miracle that she made earlier by healing his Kamidogu wound. He thought that he maybe will need to investigate a little more about the Nature Goddess' powers and their limits, as she did not know them truly herself.
Later, Sakuya woke back from the hypnosis and felt more powerful than ever. With the light of a smile on her face, she got back on her feet and led towards Raiden who kept his arms crossed on his chest as he watched her approach him. When she was close enough, he asked : "How are you ?"
"Much better. I don't know what happened to me though. Maybe I shouldn't force myself too much."
As the Thunder God nodded slowly, he questioned her. "What are you willing to do now?"
"I have told to Sonya Blade that I will help her to find Cassandra Cage. Apparently, she has been kidnapped by Erron Black. We will have to pay Kotal Kahn a visit in the Outworld."
The Thunder God felt a little anxious about the idea of letting Sakuya go in the Outworld. Even though he managed to hide behind his stoic face, he still insisted. "Are you sure that going out there with them is necessary? I think that Sonya and Johnny will be fine. Plus, they have the Special Forces team with them."
Sakura frowned at first, not understanding why Raiden would say that. But a few seconds later, she remembered how overprotective the Thunder God was.
She calmly spoke. "Raiden, I will be fine, do not worry about me."
His face started to show more of how much he worried as he dropped his arms alongside his body. He was unsure if the Nature Goddess was completely healed. What if there were side effects of closing the wound caused by a Kamidogu? No one would understand as he did, no one could protect her but him.
"You can come with me if you want to." she proposed.
"I do not think that it is necessary." he lied as he smiled. "You will be fine." the Nature Goddess smiled softly back as he turned his gaze to look at the front door and said. "Besides, I have to talk with Fujin. He will arrive soon I hope."
Sakuya took the time to examine the Thunder God's profile, the way his jawline was strongly sculpted and his nose made the real charm of his face. As he looked back at her, she was hypnotized by the light of his eyes. He did not react nor felt intimidated by her, and neither did she. Her gaze then stopped on his mouth, and she hesitated at first. But then, she cupped his face in her same right hand, and softly put her lips on his as she closed her eyes. It has been so long, she almost forgot how they tasted. It did not feel the same as the first time, the context was different, they were almost like two strangers back then. They were both unsure about their feelings. But now, it felt right for both of then.
At first surprised, Raiden frowned, then slowly kissed back as he put his hands on her waist to keep her closer to him. A few seconds later, they both stopped to catch their breaths against their own will. Sakuya held his face with both of her hands as if she wanted to feel him on her skin, to print him on her fingers forever. As if she was confused, as if this was a dream that she was living.
She finally let him go and he did the same.
"I have to go now." she whispered.
He slowly nodded, trying to hide his sadness. But then she gave him a soft kiss on his cheek, and murmured to his ear : "I will be back soon. I promise."
And without looking at him, she left the Sky Temple with a smile on her face and butterflies inside her stomach. Raiden did not move until she completely left, keeping his gaze on the Tree of the Jinsei, the only witness of their love.

- In the Outworld -

After a violent fight between Goro and Kotal Kahn — whose father died by the hands of the Shokan, the Emperor beat down the beast who, in agony, begged him to kill him. Kotal Kahn refused and sent him to Kuatan instead, as he found out that Mileena ran away with Reiko. The Emperor then burned down their temple to the ground.
"This one does not enjoy watching the Emperor take unnecessary risks." D'Vorah told him referring to the Kamidogu Dagger that Kotal Kahn used to beat Goro.
"I know D'Vorah. It was an extreme measure. The dagger's magic extracted a heavy toll from me. I must rest and regain my-"
But suddenly, the Emperor was shot on his torso by someone making him lose his balance and fall back, as D'Vorah yelled. "Hunters !"
Soon, a group of people hidden by hoods appeared and the leader held a gun pointed at them. As she revealed her face, followed by Sakuya and Johnny, Sonya answered. "Not quite. Just a concerned parent wondering... where the hell is my daughter?!"
"Sonya Blade." Sakuya spoke. "I do not think that this was necessary."
But the General ignored her and repeated. "Tell me where my daughter is Kotal or the next one goes between your eyes."
"Ssonya Blade." Reptile called her. "First you inssulted uss, now you ambush uss with falsse accussations !"
As the reptilian creature tried to attack her with his tongue, Johnny stopped it and responded. "You're right, Reptile. This whole situation is escalating way too fast. Sonya, obviously forgot our plan to lead with her charm offensive : me. Johnny Cage, at your service."
As Sakuya tried to approach Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah stopped her. "Stay back, you filthy humans !"
"I only want to heal your Emper-"
But then she saw larvae coming out of the wound, as the insectoid creature explained. "They ingest the bullet and secrete coagulant oils."
The Nature Goddess was strangely amazed and said as she looked closer. "That is fascinating !"
This remark put the light of a smile on D'Vorah's face as she helped Kotal Kahn to get back on his feet. The Emperor then said. "Sakuya and Raiden's champion. I will speak to you only."
"I don't blame you." Johnny answered before he continued. "Our daughter and her friend disappeared last night. We have proof that Black Dragons attacked them."
"And you think I'm connected." Kotal Kahn added, "Because Black Dragons sell technology to my army. But as a proud son... who recently suffered the loss... of his own family... I would never hire Kano to steal children."
"You may not have done this." Sakuya responded. "But Cassandra Cage took a picture of her harasser."
As Johnny Cage showed him the picture, Kotal Kahn directly recognized him. "Erron Black... I have never spoken directly with Kano or the Black Dragon. Erron Black acts as my intermediary."
"We were all frustrated by our reception in Earthrealm." D'Vorah tried to justify. "Perhaps Erron Black acted on that."
"But Erron Black is a former mercenary." Kotal Kahn added. "He did not request permission."
"You must know where he is." Sakuya told him calmly. "Can you help us to find him ?"
"Erron Black is securing our northern trade route. D'Vorah and Reptile will take you there."
"As for this mercenary." Sonya spoke finally. "Outworld's problems belong to Outworld. Agreed?"
A little later, D'Vorah, Reptile, Johnny, and Sonya got prepared to search for Cassandra Cage. Sakuya was only supposed to help them to reach Kotal and obtain information about Cassandra's kidnapping. The General spoke to the Nature Goddess one last time.
"I think that you will not need my help any longer." Sakuya smiled.
"Thank you." Sonya sighed. "And I'm sorry, I know that I am not very easy of a person, but..."
"There is no reason to apologize. You are worried about your child. It is normal. Now, I hope that you will find her."
The General smiled sadly and nodded at her before she joined the others. The Nature Goddess watched them leave, then turned at Kotal Kahn to ask him. "What happened with Mileena ?"
"She escaped," he said with exasperation. "But I will find her sooner or later. I h-"
Then he felt a huge headache and reflexively put his hand on Sakuya's shoulder like he was scared to fall down. The Nature Goddess held his back and asked : "Kotal, what is wrong ?"
A few seconds later, the headache disappeared and the Emperor spoke, weakened. "I have used... The Kamidogu dagger of Outworld to fight against Goro and his servants earlier. I think I did not heal completely from it yet."
Sakuya then frowned at him as he took his hand away from her.
She echoed. "The Kamidogu dagger? You have a Kamidogu dagger?"
This time, Kotal Kahn was the one who did not understand. "Yes, I have it for a long time. Raiden gave it to me."
This got the Nature Goddess even more confused. She then remembered when Raiden told her that he did not know where the daggers were. Did that mean that the Thunder God was hiding things from her? And if so, what else did she ignore about the daggers, the Kamidogu, maybe even about Raiden?
With confusion, Sakuya briefly murmured. "I have to go."
The Nature Goddess turned her back on the Emperor who called her many times before he realized that she would not return. Sakuya was already gone, with sadness, anger and a million unanswered questions inside her head.