Year Two: Part Four (2.4)

The full moon was always a time of sorrow for Remus, but he had his friends to think about as he awaited the agonising transformation in the shack. There had been students, third years that had only just gained access to Hogsmeade, that spoke if an old shack that was haunted by a bloodthirsty ghoul. They spoke of how it howled and wailed in agony and how everyone was terrified of it.

Remus had grinned behind his glass as his friends gave him curious looks. But, even as he thought of happy memories while he lay on the floor of what was now known as the Shrieking Shack, Remus couldn't stop himself from sobbing from the anguish.

Desperately, he tried thinking of his parents. How proud they must be of him for sticking around and not killing himself every moon, he thought bitterly. It wasn't a far fetched idea, as most children would have hurt themselves beyond repair.

In the morning, Professor Dumbledore came to fetch him, his long beard sweeping the dusty floor. Remus was huddled under his tattered and patched clothes, which he had the sense to put in a compartment hidden in the wall.

"Your friends, " the old man said when they had made it onto Hogwarts grounds under the dewy light of the sunrise, "seem to think they have to need to sneak into the Hospital Wing at midnight."

Remus groaned. "I'm sorry, Professor. They're just worried, sir."

"Mister Lupin, " Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling. "It is hard to find such good friends. Wouldn't you say so?"

"Er. . .no, sir, " Remus answered. "It's just hard for people to be comfortable. And brave enough to engage in conversation."

The old man nodded slowly, understanding what Remus was trying to say. They remained in silence until making it to the Hospital Wing, where Remus was quickly engulfed in a mixture of flesh and hair. " 'Lo, James."

"We weren't worried, " grinned Sirius.

Peter told him, "He's in denial. But we did take extra notes for you. Courtesy of Sirius Orion Black."

Sirius cringed at his middle name, but only James noticed. He leaned back in his chair, grinning like a madman as Remus said, "Thanks."

"We have a splendid idea, " Sirius whispered once Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey left the four alone. Remus was now lying in a cot, eating breakfast. "One that may curl your hair."

"My hair's already curly, " Remus pointed out. "But, please do continue."

James took a breath before explaining, "If a werewolf bites a human, they turn into one too, right?"

"I'm not biting---"

"We know, " Peter told him.

"But, if an animal gets bitten, nothing happens, right?" James continued, earning a slow nod from Remus. "What if we became Animagi?"

"Isn't that, like, really hard to do?" asked Remus hesitantly. "And dangerous?"

Sirius nodded and told him, "We can do research. Minnie is an Animagus. I'll bet she'll help."

Remus rolled his honey-coloured eyes. "You know she won't. And---really! This is dangerous! You could hurt yourselves or, or you could---"

"We know the risks we're taking, Moony, " Sirius told him softly, placing a hand on his shoulder. There was an odd feeling in his stomach, but he brushed it aside. "In the two days you were gone, we smuggled endless piles of books from the Restricted Section that may help us."

Remus saw the determination in all of his friend's eyes. But this was dangerous. They could be stuck with random animal parts. They could explode or---Remus shook his head, saying weakly, "If you three really want to, I can't stop you."

James smirked. "Good. Because, once you're better, we need you to distract Slughorn so that we can nick some bat whiskers."

וווווווווווווו×

The next day, Remus walked nervously into his Potions class. Professor Slughorn, a thick, balding man with horn-rimmed glasses, welcomed him back to class.

Shaking, Remus went to his seat, taking out his cauldron and giving Sirius a quick and, hopefully, discreet nod. He had volunteered to be the one to run to the store cupboard and take the bat whiskers before Slughorn noticed.

When the class began, James flirted shamelessly with Lily Evans, who ignored him and continued her conversation with Severus Snape. Remus waited until half the class was almost finished with the potion before tossing a wet-start firework into one on the Slytherin end.

It just so happened to land in Snape's, which promptly exploded and doused several people, including Lily Evans. All who came into contact with the unfinished potion had boils and warts on them. Slughorn ran around the room, trying to soothe the Slytherin girls who were crying.

Quickly, Sirius sprinted to the store cupboard, muttering, "Alohomora!" He took the bat whiskers and closed the cupboard, returning to his table undetected. He gave James a slap on the hand under the table when Peter grinned.

"You got them, then?" asked Remus, who was sweating a bit. He wiped his face.

"No, I missed them, "

Remus stuck his tongue out and Peter chuckled quietly to himself. "Don't you start too."

James told Remus, "I dunno why you couldn't just throw somewhere else. For Merlin's sake, you hit Evans!"

Remus grumbled, "I wasn't trying to hit her. I was just trying to get it into Snape's. Hell, he and Regulus are mates. Mates!" he repeated, gesturing wildly. "They bully everyone, but Evans can't even see it!"

"Ohhh, " Sirius laughed, "is ickle Moony angry?"

"Shut up, Sirius, " grumbled the scarred boy as his friends laughed.

That night, under the cover of darkness, the Marauders brewed the first of the series of potions that they needed. Remus stirred, having Peter read the directions aloud for him at least three times. "Okay, so you have to drink all of this in five-minute intervals and then we need. . .Mandrake leaves to put over your eyes as you sleep."

"Oh no, " groaned James. "We forgot the Mandrake leaves!"

"It's okay, " Remus told him. "We just need to---Accio Mandrake leaves!" There was a moment of tense silence before a handful of leaves soared through the open window and into Remus' hand. "See? Wonderful."

The Marauders clapped and they drank the potion, wincing at the strong, fishy taste. Remus laughed when they groaned after taking their third glass.

Remus used Temporary Sticking Charms to keep the leaves over their eyes as they slept. And, as he went to sleep, Peter made a huffing sound, finally settling in for the night.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!