His New Wife

You stood with your arms pushed up on the counter top as you waited for the coffee to brew. Even though you and Luca have been staying at The Hawthorne Country Hotel for the past two months, and room service was available at the click of a finger, you still preferred to wake earlier than him and make his coffee yourself. It was one of the first things you learnt how to do as his new wife. Your cooking skills were still much to be desired, but his mother had made sure to teach you that one thing. How to make his coffee, just the way he liked it. And he loved you for it.

The hotel suite you both had been living in was beautiful. Homely, in a rich countryside kind of way. There was a great central room with an open coal fire, which utilised itself as a seating area, dining room, and when the occasion called for it, Luca's office. There was a small kitchen area to the left side and the master bedroom and bathroom to the right. It was spacious for a hotel suite, but cramped as a home.

As you stirred the spoon into his coffee, you wondered what today would bring. Luca had business meetings from 10am onwards. Normally this wouldn't concern you, but as you had been living in a hotel on the outskirts of Birmingham for the past couple of months, this meant you had to be out of the way. Luca never discussed business in front of you. He never wanted you caught in the middle of ugly talk. He never wanted you to worry or feel unsafe. He took it upon himself as your husband to protect you and give you a peaceful life as possible, and that meant keeping you away from business meetings. He always made you aware of the bigger picture of his business, usually at night when the two of you were in bed, but never the gritty details. You were too precious to him for him to allow you into that world.

You tiptoed across the main room with his coffee in hand, taking care not to spill any on the cream carpet, and made your way to the bedroom. You stood looking at him for a moment. How peaceful and calmed he looked when he slept. He somehow looked younger than he did during the day, when the weight of the world was on his mind. Sleeping there, with the pillow fluffed around his head, was the most content you'd seen him look in a long while.

He cocked open one eye, raising his eyebrow. His mouth slightly at a smile.

"Is that my coffee I can smell?" He asked, with his New York drawl.

"It sure is, Mr Changretta." You replied with a smirk across your face. "Freshly brewed, and made just how you like it."

He sat up on his elbows and patted the bed space next to him. You bounced over and sunk into the soft quilt, handing Luca his coffee as he reached out for it.

"Be careful, it's hot!" You warned him as he took his first sip. He smiled at you and started to blow on the drink.

"Well, Mr Changretta, how's your coffee this morning?"

He took another sip and looked at you. "It's perfect. Perfect as always." He smiled, as he set the cup onto the bedside table.

"Now come here, Mrs Changretta, and give me my morning kiss."