Chapter 28 (The End)

It had been three months since Christopher had attacked Trinity. She still wasn't one hundred percent clear about what had happened, but she knew that somehow Josiah had witnessed Christopher force her towards the elevators. Josiah, who hadn't been sure who he was, hadn't liked what was happening, so he took matters into his own hands. First, Josiah had called Rita's husband, a member of the local police force, and then he had called Levi. There had also been some magic done with keycards, thanks to Tessa.

It had been a horrible moment in Trinity's life, but she had come out of it a little bit wiser and much more secure in her trust and love for Levi. He had seen her at her worst, and he had nursed her back to health. He had been there to hold her through the nightmares and comfort her when she felt helpless. His love gave her a reason to fight her way back from the fear and depression that had overwhelmed her.

The event had been eye-opening for Josiah as well. He was more aware of how abuse affected a person, and that made him consider his mother differently, and it had gone a long way towards his willingness to forgive her.

Ben and Lia had stayed for a few more weeks after the attack, and Tessa had managed to talk Ben into a book signing, which had drawn people from around the state. Tessa was proving to be a tremendous help and was carrying the weight of the hotel for them while Josiah transitioned back to Shaw Holdings, helping there while Trinity and Levi took time to heal.

The staff at Shaw holdings were still unaware that she and Levi were living together. Levi and Trinity had been as quiet as possible about it, but quiet was not in Josiah's vocabulary, and he had been very affectionate and protective of Trinity. Rita had informed her that it was a hoot to know that everyone thought Josiah had a thing for Trinity and were utterly clueless about Levi.

Levi and Trinity were still working. They were just a little bit more relaxed about it and were taking more time off for themselves.

That was what the afternoon was about. Trinity and Levi had both taken off early. It was early summer, and Levi wanted to take her on a picnic. He had managed to get her on a horse. Then they had ridden for a few miles before he had stopped by a creek. There he had spread out a blanket and unpacked his saddlebag.

"This is a lovely spot," Trinity said as she lowered herself onto to blanket with a sigh. She was thankful to be off the horse.

"It is," Levi agreed as he set a feast before her.

"I still don't understand why you are so insistent that I learn to ride a horse," she said as she rubbed her lower back.

"It's a necessary skill for a rancher's wife to have," Levi casually said as he opened a Tupperware container that had pasta salad in it.

Trinity's heart stopped. "But I'm not a rancher's wife," she argued.

"Would you like to be?" he asked.

"Would it mean living here with you forever?" Trinity's voice grew soft. "Is my job part of  the deal, or will I have to give it up?"

"Is this a negotiation?" Levi asked, sitting back on his heels. "I thought you were supposed to say yes and throw yourself into my arms?"

"I want to do that, Levi, but first, I need to make sure that we are both on the same page. If I marry again, it will be forever, and you know I love you, so it's not about that."

"I get it, Trinity. I'm just teasing." He put his hand behind her neck and pulled her in for a gentle kiss. "So, let's negotiate."

He sat back, relaxing as if he had all day, which he did. "You will keep your job as long as you want it. In fact, I will make you a shareholder in the company when we marry, and living on the ranch forever is part of the deal.

"Nice." Trinity nodded as she reached for a piece of cheese. "Let's discuss this horse business. I honestly don't see a need for it."

"Nope, I need you to ride. I want to show you all of the most beautiful spots around here, and they are only accessible by horse. If you don't learn to ride, then I will be forced to enjoy them by myself, and that's not what I want."

Trinity sighed. "Fine, but will you buy me a horse of my choosing? I need one that understands me." She looked over her shoulder at the horse that was eyeing her from where it was tied to a tree. He had given her attitude all morning.

"I can make that happen sooner rather than later. Rainer invited me down to Texas to have a look at their place, and I know his family raises horses. I'm sure we can find you a horse there.

"Josiah?" Trinity asked.

"I talked to him last night. He is all for it and hopes we will be very happy. What about your family?"

"No worries there. Ben and Lia like you, and they are the hard ones to please. I know my parents will love you." Trinity smiled.

"So Trinity Emerson, the woman I fell in love with, at first sight, will you marry me?" His voice was husky as he asked, and she knew how much it meant to him. She knew how much she meant to him.

Trinity nodded. "Yes, Levi Shaw, man I fell in love with at second sight, I will marry you," she said all of her love and trust for him reflected in her gaze.

He shouted in joy as he reached for her, pulling her towards him.

"When and where?" he asked.

"Anywhere and as soon as possible. Something small, just family, please," she requested before his lips claimed hers.

It was settled. Trinity and Levi would live happily ever after. She would be Levi's official Gatekeeper for the rest of her life.