The Sacrifice(s)

Not Giving a Fuck = How to grow properly

Before we go to the story, I'd like to say that when I was reading 'the subtle art of not giving a fuck', a book that I thought would teach me about nihilism, turns out it's to be one of the best book that has taught me about self-development, to be able to set things for myself properly, and to be simple hearted. Although it says that it's about 'the art of not giving a fuck', it's not about to destroy everything and screw with our lives! It's perfectly the opposite, it only says to 'give a fuck' just to essentials/important aspects in my life and get rid of anything else.

And although it's sounds terribly simple and short message, it's quite hard to do. It's hard to be on focus, when there were a lot of responsibility and expectations that we have and although it's sounds easy to get rid of things that get in our way, because sometimes the ones that we need to get rid of, is the most precious and valuable things that we got. So, when we see ourselves to get rid of them & 'sacrificing' them, it's quite an impossible mission actually! You can't sacrifice something that was so attach to you and be perfectly fine with it. Yup, that's one of the main reasons why it's sometimes hard to grow ourselves; we're not naturally like to sacrifice things, even since the old testament. Let's look at the Genesis 21-22.

Sarah

There are several people here that are sacrificing their own personal interest in order to (hopefully) gain a better future, or at least to follow God's will. You could see from the simple eyes that Sarah was sacrificing herself, even though it was stated that she laughed when she heard the news from God. Well in the end, Sarah took a good care to Ishak, even when he was still in her womb for 9 months period, right? She had been doing a great job this far, for not to forsake this child and nurturing him.

And besides of her pregnancy, Sarah also must had been worried when she also had to bear him. I don't know if the ancient world has been aware of this knowledge, but it seems quite impossible, physically speaking for an elder to bear a child, right? It's just too much work and energy to put in, that it could be lethal to the mom. Possibly, she was in a near-death experience in that moment. But then, Sarah still believe in God and took a chance to do that, and eventually, Ishak was born into the world, thanks to her.

Hagar 

And the story goes to reveal the faithful slave that was given a chance by God, to be something better. Hagar had been played out by Sarah, and she was casted out by Abraham just because Sarah didn't like to see Ishak and Ismael together. Yes, it's an interesting story to make us realize a well-known knowledge; Bad things could happen to everyone, even to the faithful ones. Hagar had been doing a great job to serve the Abraham's family and after all that tragic and an unfair situation, Hagar was still blessed by God and kept His promise to Abraham to be fulfilled also through Ishmael. Hagar had become the mother of nations even though she was outcasted by her mistress.

Abraham

Now, we've came to the last story of Abraham, about the first children sacrifice (well, almost). First questions that comes to my mind; Why did God would tempt Abraham in that way? My opinion for God's temptation to Abraham is, first of all, that's cruel to make him sacrifice something that he loved, and second, Abraham must've been so noble & great that he was tempted by God into the highest level of difficulties for Abraham. Is it possible for Abraham to fall for this one? Perhaps he will, in some manner, but God would never assign a test, if we don't have the capacity, right?

Abraham must've been a tough guy in my opinion, by responding well to God's order. He didn't ask God, why he need to do that, He also didn't curse God for what He wanted, he simply obey. And perhaps, he questioned himself within the journey, does he necessary to do that? Well, that's just being a human, to question themselves whether what they will do is a right thing to do. It's also a tough moment for Abraham when Ishak asked 'where's the sacrifice?' It's so touching to see Abraham's toughness to God, that we could see that Abraham gently respond to Ishak, that God will provide the sacrifice, by himself.

Ishak

Well, Ishak was also a great kid to be remembered. He never wanted to be a naughty boy, like Pinocchio, but after all those journeys, it must've been confusing to him, that they wanted to meet God, but bring nothing but a pile of woods to make the altar. And I think, Ishak was as tough as his father, because he never asked any other thing, even though Abraham was strapping him, tightly, brought him to the altar, and the furthest faith and obedience of Ishak, I saw when he say nothing when Abraham was almost stabbing a knife and end his life.

What we've learnt so far?

And now, let's take a few moments to reflect about what we've read for a while. There are a lot of people that were sacrificing their interest, pleasure, avoiding the easy path, and even life to be faithful and perhaps that's the way of seeing the consequences of being faithful to God. It has never been an easy journey, especially for the Abraham's family, when they're trying to be faithful. They sacrificed a lot, and since the first paragraph, I've mentioned that sacrifice is not a natural activity or habit for us, human.

But when they chose to do it and being faithful, also successfully made Abraham a better man than Abram; It made Hagar from a servant into a mother of nations; It made Ishak, a great son; It made Sarah, left the world as an honorable wife. So, does being faithful will always end well? Yes, eventually! But it will not be easy. And that's the key of a good life, isn't it? To be something more than we, unlock the potential, and create a better world, or at least a better life for ourselves.