Ch.23 Parting Ways

Avery

"I can't do that, Dylan." I stared at my mess of a friend.

She wanted to run her own unit but she hasn't been cleared for it. Nor is she trying to get cleared.

"I'm fine! Not my fault Renae can't see that." Dylan crossed her arms and gave me a twisted glare.

This was going to be a huge mess. Where is Riggs?

"What happens if you aren't fine? You lead a group out to whatever mission and you're not fine?" I pulled out a seat for her and sat down at the table. She stood, staring at me.

Dylan stepped forward and took a seat,"Christian, I'm fine. I promise you. Renae won't clear me because she thinks it affected me more then I'm letting on." Dylan shrugged it off.

"Is it?" I don't believe her. She's strong but that would affect anyone.

"No, fourth time. I'm fine. Are you going to give me a unit or not?" She sat back and crossed her arms.

"Fine. You'll have one next week." I smiled and stood.

"Next week?" She followed me.

"Yeah,Dylan, after you pass your NMHA." I gave her a smile this time. It was an asshole move but I'm not sending my men out there to die because she's unfit to lead them.

"Are you serious? Go fuck yourself." Dylan spat and stormed out of the cafeteria.

   —-
Dylan

Why is everything going so wrong? I came home and I took months off to recuperate. I'm better and I'm ready to get back to work, but I can't.

I have to take a god damn mental test.

"Dylan, come with me." Riggs called as I exited the glass doors.

"No," I shook my head and I walked past him.

"I didn't ask. Let's go." This time he demanded and I stopped.

I wasn't gonna win this one. Rolling my eyes, I followed him down the road.

"Where to?" I asked as we took a turn.

"You'll see." Riggs mumbled.

I guess he doesn't want to talk.

I wouldn't want to talk to me either.

As we got closer to wherever we were going, I began to hear the sound of flowing water.

"Riggs?" I spoke up softly.

"This is the first place we ran off together, You remember?" Riggs nodded at the river.

I nodded and stared at the water.

"It's freezing out here,Riggs." I shuttered as the wind blew.

"It's warmer in the water, C'mon." Riggs winked at me and held out his arms.

"Are you crazy? I'll get hypothermia." I shook my head and backed away from the water, digging my toes into the sand.