Untitled Part 1

The plane came to a halt and landed on the runway. The dust blew lightly across the field. Unknowingly, we had landed in Mexican hell amidst feelings that anything away from traffic and pollution would do nicely. As I scanned the surrounding landscape, the words of the travel agent echoed in my ear, "You'll love Cancun and the La Playa hotel, it's a most wonderful place."

"ARRIVALS THIS WAY" read the sign.

"There is the Club America check in booths," said my husband, Bill. "Don't we go there to get hooked up with a bus?"

"Right," I said absently. "They'll take us to the hotel."

"Can I go swimming when we get there?" asked my daughter, Annie.

"We'll see," I said.

We approached the buses. The Mexican tour guides watched with a sharp eye.

"Perdon, can your party take this bus?" asked the young man watching us.

"Sure," I answered wondering why it should matter.

"This seat looks as good as any," I said to Bill. I began to examine the airport. "Isn't it always strange that Mexican airports look like landfill sites?"

"They are desolate," he answered. "But things are different here."

"The bus is full, can't we go now?" Annie whined.

"Wait a few minutes, I'm sure it won't take long," I said.

It was hot, the sun hammered down on the bus.

"Time to go," said a man sitting in front of us. People began to grumble.

"I want to go swimming," said Annie.

"Where are these people?" I asked Bill.

"Looks like they are coming out now," he said.

We watched as a uniformed man and woman boarded the bus. They wore little La Playa pins for the hotel. The driver took his seat. The woman addressed us.

"Hello, everyone," she greeted us. "My name is Marina Gonzalez and I am the public relations coordinator for the La Playa hotel. I'm am sorry you have been delayed, but I need to give you some information regarding your hotel reservations. You see there has been a computer error. We did not receive your reservations until today. Therefore, we do not have rooms available for you, so we will have to make some adjustments."

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked a woman sitting in the front.

"Well, it means that because we cannot accommodate you, we will be sending you to a sister hotel. And because of the error, you will be given free drinks and free meals there. We hope everything is satisfactory and that you all enjoy your trip to Cancun. Adios!" she said. And with that, she dropped lightly down the steps and proceeded to the next bus. A few people still grumbled but the mention of anything free helped quell a strong resistance.

"It better be good," remarked a man sitting behind us.

"Don't worry dear, I'm sure it will be fine," answered his wife as she patted him on the hand.

With that, the bus started up and began moving out from the airport.

"Hmm, so this is Cancun," I said.

"Where's the beach?" asked Annie.

"Behind the next tree," said Bill.

"Is it me, or do you think we aren't going through town?" I asked.

"Where is town and how would we know?" said Bill.

"I don't know, but don't you think it's odd?" I asked.