The Revolution

Welcome to a world of hatred, war, and death, the world of which children have fought in, many have died, very few have survived, the rebels fought for a better life for the upcoming generations, while the royals and rich sat back and observed, one person, in particular, caught the eye of everyone, a 17-year-old who had lead the rebels since the start of the battle. Short brown hair cut under the shoulders, burgundy eyes framed by skin stained by blood, dirt and ash. The outfit consisted of jeans which have been shredded and an ashy grey shirt stained in red liquid. She was the head rebel, the only female fighting, her heavy boots stomped through puddles of water and blood.

"Grim!"

She turned around in a flash and walked to where her name was called, climbing on top of the barricades and viewing the street before her, a small boy stood next to her and held her hand, no older then the age of 5, his matted chai blonde hair sat messily upon his pale dirty skin, his bright brown eyes reflected the slight light the sun produced. He squeezed her hand and her eyes met his.

"Grimmy, what are they doing?"

"Gavroche, be quiet for a minute"

Her eyes left the little boy she calls her own back to the soldiers and pulled her handgun out of its holster and pulled the safety off, she pulled him behind her in case they decided to shot, and there was no way she was going to let him die. She raised Gavroche as her own ever since he was 4 as he was an orphan much like her. he was basically her son, he called her mama occasionally and she gave her names which she would only call her children if she had any. She saw as the soldiers dressed in a blue and red uniform stood behind their shelter. She jumped off the barricades and put her arms up so Gavroche could do the same, he jumped into her arms and she placed him on the ground next to her, she walked over to Marius and placed her hand on his shoulder

"Where is everyone?"

"we're the only ones left"

"what?"

"only 20 of us remain"

"So, the ones who fear them... those assholes out on the other side! just left us!?"

"Grim, you grew up in that world"

"Marius, I left that world, I saw what they were like and now I'm fighting for a future which Gavroche can grow up in"

She turned around to face everyone and cleared her throat

"MOST OF US HAVE FLED IN FEAR IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE... THEN NOW IS YOUR TIME!"

Everyone could see the pain that flooded her body, the change she thought she could make but didn't hurt her a lot. Gavroche noticed this as well and walked over to Flynn, his innocence was the only ray of hope they all had.

"Do you hear the people sing?"

She looked over to him and smiled, his eyes lit up even more and his precious smile radiated and shielded the darkness, he continued to sing as everyone joined in one by one.

"Singing the song of angry men, it is the music of the people who will not be slaves again!"

Tears formed in her eyes as she started laughing

"when the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums! There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"

"We aren't leaving you to fight on your own"

She looked over to Marius and hugged him tightly

"thank you"

He returned the hug and Gavroche came running over and pushed himself into the hug, they both started laughing and after a few minutes, they pulled away.

"Grim, we are running out of ammo!"

"A few dead bodies are lying on the front of the barricades, I can go through the crawl space and steal the rest of theirs..."

They continued to discuss what they could do, whilst they were doing that Gavroche snuck out through the crawl space and rummaged out of the front of the barricades, his eyes met the general and he smiled devilishly

"Little people know when little people fight"

Flynn overheard Gavroche singing his little rhyme which grim taught him, he climbed as quickly as he could and saw the little boy walking around teasing the soldiers. He looked back at grim to make sure she was busy, he turned back around and leant over the top and reached his hand out towards Gavroche signalling for him to grab on, he spoke in a loud whisper not wanting Grim to hear.

"Gavroche!"

He turned around to face Flynn and smiled

"we may look easy pickings, but we got some bite!"

"Gavroche get back here!"

"So never kick a dog, because he's just a pup!"

The general signalled for one of the soldiers to shoot his gun, and he followed through shooting a centimetre away from his head just to spoke him, he went quiet for a second and went wide-eyed. The gunshot confused grim and she looked around trying to see who wasn't there.

"We'll fight like 20 armies! And we won't give up!"

"GAVROCHE!"

"GAVROCHE COME BACK!"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING COME BACK!"

Grim's eyes shot up in fright when she heard Gavroche's name being called by Flynn, she stumbled up the barricades just when she saw a bullet enter his leg, she screamed at the top of her lungs and tried to climb over but Marius knowing she was the main target as she started the revolution, he held her back and looked over to Flynn who was leaning down to grab his arm, Gavroche never gave up though, he crawled around to retrieve the ammo

"So, you better run for cover!"

"GAVROCHE COME BACK!"

"GAVROCHE GET BACK!"

"BABY PLEASE, COME BACK!"

Grim jumped back off the barricades and ran around the pillar to try and run out and get him, Marius followed her and held her close, tears now streaming down her cheeks.

"GAVROCHE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

"SOMEONE GO GET HIM!" 

"COME BACK!"

"When the pup grows- "

He was cut short as grim witnessed as a bullet pierced his chest, he fell backwards into a puddle of the enemy's blood, little droplets stained his clothes, his skin grew pale and his glow left. She screamed as loud as she could and shoved Marius off to ran out into the firing range, she fell to her knees and cradled him as she watched him slowly die. Marius nodded towards the guys and they all cocked their guns and aimed it towards the soldiers, he then ran out to Grim and picked them both up and carried back around the safety of the barricades, tears mixed with his blood.

"T-they shot my baby..."

She looked up to Flynn who looked down at her, the only thing he saw was her bloodshot eyes.

"PEOPLE IN THE BARRICADES YOU LISTEN TO THIS! YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE JUST GIVE IT UP!"

Grim placed a small kiss on his nose and placed him on the ground, she rose to her feet and pulled out her gun. Walking back around the corner she stood right where she lost her baby.

"GRIM GET BACK HERE! YOU'LL DIE!"

She ignored everyone and rose her gun in the aim and fired making everyone duck.

"LET US DIE FACING YOU ALL! MAKE YOU BLEED WHEN WE CAN!"

"MAKE THEM PAY THROUGH THE NOSE!"

"MAKE THEM PAY FOR EVERY MAN!"

she bit her tongue to stop the tears.

"LET OTHER RISE! TO TAKE OUR PLACE! UNTIL OUR WORLD IS FREE!"

She lowered the gun to eye range and pulled the trigger, she had no clue who was going to get it, but she was going to avenge the only person she could call family...