The Violin

"Yes, sweetheart," my father smiles.

I smile back. An innocent, sweet chuckle escapes my lips as my dad positions my arms and teaches me to play.

At first, the notes are all wonky and ear shattering. But as I play on..

The music turns soft and lilting, like sunshine on my skin.

And like the sunshine, it warms me up and makes me smile.

My dad is now the only one I have left. Mommy died two months ago, and it still hurts. Daddy's violin makes me happy, at least for a little bit.

I pull the bow across the strings. The music washes over my body, making warmth spark in my heart. The violin is the only thing that makes me happy, and the only thing that matters. Except for Dad, but he isnt a 'thing', is he?

It's almost like when someone loves you, they read your mind. My friend broke my violin last week. I didn't tell Daddy about it, but he knew what happened all the same.

Now, here I am. My dad re-teaching me how to play, even though I already know how.

My dad has short term memory loss. In his eyes, I think i am only five. But I let him teach me to play, and play along as well, because it makes him smile.

Its been a long time since he's done that. I am more than happy to pretend along with him.

Dad is the only one I have, and I am the only one he does.