Chapter 1

The first chapter is here! Who's excited! I know I am.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patton came home to an empty house, which was unusual because Virgil was usually on the couch watching TV and on his phone.
"Virgil?" He called out. Getting no answer he checked his friends bedroom. "Virgil?" Patton knocked on the door. Still no answer, he opened the door. Everything was in place in the usually messy room. A white paper on the bed stood out in the dark room.

Dear Patton, I'm really sorry that I had to do this, but Anxiety was getting too strong. I couldn't control him anymore. I have to keep you and this town safe and the only way to do that is to turn myself in. You always said I'm not the bad guy, but I can't control him any longer. Thank you for trying though. We both really appreciate it. 
With Love, Virgil and Anxiety 

Patton fell down crying. Why did this happen? He thought Virgil was getting better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''''
"This next story will bring joy in everybody's hearts." The newscaster announced. "The villain known as Anxiety is now contained. The Dazzler had brought him to police sometime between 3 or 4 in the morning. He is now spending time in a special cell to keep him in prison for a while. We will keep you updated as more information is known. I am Georgia Levy on News at Nine."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''
As soon as the Dazzler walked out of the police station mid afternoon there were people all up in his face.
"How did you catch Anxiety?"
"What are you going to do now?"
“How long were you trying to catch him?"
"Do you know anything else about him?"
"Is he really as bad as people think?"
"What's he really like?"
"I'm sorry," Dazzler answered back. "I have to get going. I have a normal job as well and I have to get back before my lunch break is over." There was a bright light and he was gone. Everyone sat there stunned for a moment before continuing on with their day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
"I don't understand Roman," Logan was on the phone with his friend. "Patton is usually so happy all the time, I know he's trying to pretend to be, but I can tell he's not."
"Maybe he's sick? You could tell him to go home. You are his boss after all." Roman replied. "Sometimes people just have bad days."
"Yeah, I'll ask him. Thank You Roman." Logan responded.
"Anytime Nerd. Bye." They hung up the phone and Logan walked out of his office.
"Patton?" The said person looked up and smiled.
"What can I do for you?"
Logan sighed. "I noticed you aren't performing up to your usual peppiness. I am giving you the option to go home and get some rest so you can perform more adequately tomorrow."
"I...Okay. I'm sorry." Patton held back tears in his eyes at the thought of home. He started packing his things and Logan walked out. It wasn't until Patton was home that he released his tears.
"It's not the same without you Virgil," Patton mumbled. "This place is just...empty."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you realize how much you hurt Patton? I bet he's in tears at your sudden leave. Let's just get out of here and go to him. Just give me control and we can be out of here before you know it. I know you want to.
Virgil clutched his head. "Shut up!!" He yelled. No one paid any attention to him. When he was brought in Anxiety put up a fight, but he didn't. It's the only reason why they were caught in the first place. He got brought in as Anxiety and now he's just Virgil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Virgil stumbled through the door around 7 in the morning. "Virgil!" Patton jumped up and caught his friend. "What happened? You look awful."
"I feel awful," Virgil mumbled and let Patton guide him towards the couch. "Patton. I have something you need to know."
"Let me hurry and get some ice for your eye." Patton ran to the kitchen  and came back a minute later. "Here. Now what is it that you need to say?"
"I'm...I'm the villain." Virgil blurted, putting the ice pack over his eye. "I'm Anxiety."
"What? That doesn't make sense. I know you. You wouldn't hurt anyone." Patton said.
"It's...it's complicated. It's like it's not really me. Like someone else. But it's still me." Virgil tried to explain.
"It's okay kiddo. We'll get through it." Patton wrapped his arms around his friend. "We'll discuss it more when you're feeling better."
"You're...not mad?" Virgil's voice wavered. Patton wasn't sure. He wanted to be mad; Anxiety hurt so many people. But he knew Virgil. Virgil wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose.
"I'm not mad at you," Patton said carefully. Virgil let a small smile grace his face and he was quickly asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''''
Come on! I know you want to!
Virgil gripped his hair.
“I said shut up!” He yelled at the voice in his head.
“Keep it down in there!” A guard shouted.
Think about Patton. He was helping us. He was the only one that cared
“I can’t. I don’t want you hurting people anymore.”
Patton is probably mad at you. You’re weak Virgil, I can feel it. Soon you’ll lose control for good.
“Please leave me alone right now,” Virgil whimpered. “I don’t want to think about Patton.”
You call me Anxiety for a reason Virgil. We can go back to Patton and apologize.
“I can’t see him. Not after what I’ve- what we’ve done.”
Let me have control. I’ll go back to him and explain. I’ll take care of you if Patton won’t anymore. If he’s mad we’ll destroy-”
“No!” Virgil shouted, his voice slightly demented. “I will not have you hurting him.”
Patton is the only thing making you still have control. What if he doesn’t like you. What if because of what you’ve done he hates you now. What if you go back and he turns you in again.
“He wouldn’t. We’re friends.” Virgil curled into himself. “He wouldn’t...I know he won’t. Would he?”
Who knows. He’s just another person after all.
Virgil sobbed. “I don’t know...I’ve known him for a long time.”
Give me control. Let’s get us out of here and we can go say hi to Patton and apologize to him.
“Okay.” Virgil gave in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''
“Breaking News!! The Villain known as Anxiety has escaped captivity. Georgia Levy is at the police station with more information.” The newscaster said.
“This is Georgia Levy, I’m here at the police station with the hero the Dazzler. Could you tell us more of what happened?” The camera panned to the hero.
“I got a call that there were strange things happening here. As soon as I got here, the power was out as well as all the cells open. I am working with the police at this moment trying to gather all the escaped criminals but I must warn you as citizens please be careful.”
“More villains are getting out, if this gets worse we may have to issue a city-wide lock-down. Please everyone be safe as-” The camera tipped over.
“Anxiety!” The Dazzler shouted.
Miss me?” Anxiety shouted back. “I was only caught because I let you.” Anxiety picked up the camera as all the people fled. The Dazzler ran trying to get Anxiety.
Hey Patton.” Anxiety said into the camera. “You better watch out. As I have Virgil under my control now.” With that he broke the camera and disappeared in a dark shadow.
The Dazzler clenched his fist. “Got away? How? He’s after Patton. Is that the same Patton, Logan was talking about a couple days ago?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
Logan’s phone rang. “Hello?”
“You watched the news right?” Roman questioned.
“Yes, partially.”
“He’s after Patton.”
“Who is?”
“Anxiety. Mentioned someone named Virgil too. Maybe ask him about it.”
“Okay? Patton is currently busy. But I can check in on him and warn him. Maybe contact that hero you’re always talking about.”
“Dazzler? Yeah I can get him to protect your employee.”
“I’ll talk to you later.” Logan hung up the phone. He really hoped this Anxiety villain didn’t hurt anyone on his crew.
“Hey Patton?” He walked into the room.
“Yes Logan? Do you need anything?” Patton sat up straighter when his boss walked in.
“I just wanted to warn you about-” He stopped talking when the lights in the building started flickering. They shut off for a moment and turned back on.
About me?” A deep voice sounded.
“Anxiety,” Logan hissed. “What do you want with Patton?” He put his arm protectively around his employee.
What do I want with Patton? I just want to talk.”
“What did you do? Where’s Virge?” Patton said.
Virgil is fine, for now. But we have to discuss a few things.” He started walking towards the two.
“Not on my watch!” The Dazzler walked into the room.
Daze. Come to ruin the party? I see. Like always.”
“Step down you fiend.” The Dazzler stepped between Logan and Anxiety.
You can’t stop me. Why do you keep trying?” A black shadow covered the room and when it lifted Anxiety was gone, along with Patton.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'''''
When Patton could see past the shadows he found himself in a worn down warehouse-looking place. Anxiety was standing across the room along with some of Patton’s belongings.
“Virgil? Please, I know you’re there.” Patton pleaded standing up from the chair he was placed in.
Virgil is not in charge right now.” The voice echoed.
“Virgil...please?” Patton begged. He wouldn’t admit but he was frightened. Anxiety was a known criminal, killing innocent people to get what he wanted. But Virgil… Virgil was his friend always helping Anxiety back down from doing his worst.
“I said Virgil is NOT in charge right now.” Shadows surrounded the two and Patton felt a sudden coldness.
“Anx. Don’t...don’t hurt him.” He tried to keep from shivering.
Patton.” Anxiety’s eyes widened, the shadows easing back. “I’m sorry.”
“You’re hurting. You both are. I can see it. Please talk to me?” Patton hesitantly took a step forward.
No!” Anxiety took a step backwards. They both froze when Patton’s phone went off. Anxiety grabbed it off the table next to him. “Boss.” He read the caller id and looked at Patton.
“Logan! Oh, he must be so worried.” Patton stared at the other, wondering what the villain was going to do.
Anxiety declined the call. “Not now.” He gasped, setting the phone down suddenly and clutching his head. “Patton. Please talk some sense into Virgil.” He stood up again as if nothing happened. “He’s fighting against this. You know I mean no harm. It’s just who I am. You’re one of the few that can tame the both of us. We need you and Virgil made the mistake of turning himself in. He’s struggling, but doesn’t want to admit it.” Anxiety looked a little deflated.
“I want to talk to Virgil. Let me first call Logan back and let him know I’m okay. He’s going to worry, if he’s not already.” Patton took another step forward. Anxiety once again taking a step back grabbing Patton’s phone.
You didn’t even hear anything I just said.” He slumped his shoulders.
“Anxiety. Yes I did. I just want-” Patton saw Anxiety stand taller, holding his head higher. “What are you plan-”
I’ll tell Virgil to ask Logan where you are.” He cut Patton off, continuing before Patton could say anything else. “After all, traveling through the shadows, that boy doesn’t have a clue where I brought you.”
“Anx-” Patton ran towards him.
Shadows surrounded Anxiety and he was gone. Leaving Patton alone with no way of getting out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''''
Logan paced the floor. “I should have done something more.” He mumbled, glancing at the paper the Dazzler handed him.
My phone number. In case he come back
“Patton. Where’d he take you?” Just then Logan’s phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID, he didn’t hesitate to answer.
“Patton are you-” Logan froze. He heard crying on the other end and he knew it wasn’t his employee.
“Who are you and what are you doing with Patton’s phone?” Logan demanded.
“I’m...I’m sorry. I was told to call this number...” The other sobbed. “You know Patton...and...I was...I’m worried. He’s gone and I don’t-”
“Hey, it’s okay.” Logan’s tone softened. “Take a deep breath…” Logan trailed off realizing he didn’t know the person’s name.
“Virgil...my name is Virgil.”
“Okay Virgil, take a deep breath. We’ll find your friend.”
Virgil? Where have I-...Patton’s friend. The one Anxiety is after.
“Would you like to come to my office?” Logan asked. At the confirmation Logan told him the address.