1

The Lab

Readers point of view

"Good job today Eleven."
I can hear Papa's voice echo into the waiting room, right outside the testing lab where I've been waiting. "Bring Eleven to the special project. While you two bring Twelve in." Papa orders as I catch a slight glimpse of Eleven being forcefully dragged away while I'm brought into the room for todays pre-testing.
A man in a pure white suit came and put a wired helmet on my head, making sure it's secure before backing away, leaving Papa and I in the room.

"For this test I want you to try and crush this simple can. You think you can do that?" Papa asked. I looked away from him and at the can, a simple task we do quite often, yet energy draining task nonetheless.
I focused on the can.
A couple seconds passed by, and nothing.
"Focus. Let it come to you. Envision the can being crushed." Papas words keep echoing in my head until we saw the simple can begin to shake a bit. Vibrating quietly before quickly getting crushed.
I felt blood falling from my nose as my head was getting foggy.
"You did good, however, you still need to get stronger. We will work on that and in due time." Papa smiles, but his words send a wave of sadness over myself.
I'm still not strong enough for him.
"Bring her back to her room." Papa ordered as I felt the men in white suits harshly grab my arms lifting me up and throwing me into my room. Slamming the door as they left.

Ever since the others disappeared these guys have been more rough with Eleven and I. That day was when we began to do more intense testing. Before it would be simple tasks like the pre-test I did today but after the special project started the normal testing I had gotten used to became a pre-test. Now the real test is still too difficult for me to handle. So for now I'm stuck doing little tests as I try my best to get stronger.

Before this place was lively and while I didn't really befriend my other brothers and sisters, but still they made this less like a prison.
Now it just feels lonely. No more rainbow room. No more play time. Only testing and resting.
That's all we do.

"Emergency. All soldiers report to the special project lab. I repeat all soldiers report to the special project lab-"

The distressed voice over the announcements gets cut off as I hear footsteps outside my room running away from my door.
I look at the ground to see a small crack in the floor, that crack moved up the walls and onto the door. Breaking the lock and letting the door slowly creek opened.
I watched with wide eyes as Eleven runs by my room. She looks scared and stops right in front of me. We stand there for a little bit simply staring at each other, until we heard people running towards us.
"Get them both."
A soldier orders as they take out a weapon they normally use on us.
I felt myself get more panicked as the men started to come closer turning on their weapons and showing us the blue electricity, and without thinking I threw the guards across the room.
I felt proud of myself but that moment ended quickly when I felt Eleven grab my hand.
I was confused.
Where was she running to?
If she was going to attempt an escape she has to know that she's running the wrong way. Right?

"Where are you running to?" I asked seeing as she didn't look back, almost as if she knew where to run.
She opened a door and led me into an unknown part of the lab.
"This way." She pointed to a small tube only big enough for kids to fit through.
She opened the gate of the tube with her powers and bent down as she started to crawl through it.
As I was wondering what I should do I heard people yelling and footsteps running towards us.

"Both the numbers have escaped."
"We have to get them back."
"Try your best not to kill them."
The bad men kept yelling for us.