chapter 69

Mu Xiaoxiao paused for a moment as she wondered if it might be Lu Yichen who had called. She instinctively glanced at Yin Shaojie, and he looked back at her coincidentally. His gaze was so deep it was terrifying, and it was as if he had seen through her.

“Your phone is ringing. Aren’t you going to answer?” he reminded as he stared at her, putting her on edge.

Mu Xiaoxiao had no choice but to force herself to answer the phone.

Upon seeing the Caller ID, it turned out that the caller wasn’t Lu Yichen but Han Qiqing!

She let out a breath of relief. Smiling as she boldly showed the screen to him, she said, “It’s Little Qing calling.”

“Oh? Why would she be calling you so suddenly?”

Mu Xiaoxiao was stunned. If he knew that she had met with Han Qiqing just now, then he would find out about her lie!

She stammered nervously, “Uh, I-I don’t know… Let me answer the call first.”

She was afraid that Han Qiqing would expose her, so she left the sofa and walked towards the fridge while pretending to get water.

“Yeah.”

Han Qiqing voice sounded like a machine gun as she said, “Xiaoxiao! What exactly is going on between you and Lu Yichen? When did you first meet him? Why would he be having a meal at the coffee shop with you? Do you like him? Boohoo. Don’t tell me! Don’t tell me! I don’t want to know! Boohoo!”

Mu Xiaoxiao pulled the phone away from her ear for a short while and then put it back.

“You… calm down. Can you lower your voice? I almost went deaf.”

“You’re going deaf, but my heart’s breaking! Xiaoxiao, do you know how long I’ve liked him? How could you… snatch my prize! Boohoo, I feel like dying now! Xiaoxiao, we’ve been such good friends. How could you steal my love… Boohoo…”

Hearing that, Mu Xiaoxiao was between laughing and crying.

However, that confirmed her earlier suspicion that she was indeed fond of Lu Yichen.

“I’m not! Oh yeah…” She glanced at Yin Shaojie out of the corner of her eyes. While he wasn’t watching her, she slipped into the bedroom and closed the door.

Though she knew the room had good soundproofing, she still warned Han Qiqing in a soft voice, “You have to keep our meeting today a secret. Don’t tell anyone, especially Yin Shaojie. You can’t let him know!”

“Why?” Han Qiqing did not understand.

“Aiya, I’ll explain next time! Just remember what I said. Don’t let him know. Got it?”

“Oh, I got it. So you and Lu Yichen…”

Mu Xiaoxiao quickly clarified, “I’m only friends with him! If you like him, stop worrying and go pursue him. Okay?

Han Qiqing sighed and said dejectedly, “I did pursue him! But I couldn’t reach him… He didn’t pay me any attention.”

So when she saw Lu Yichen eating out with Mu Xiaoxiao, she had been very surprised.

She had admired Lu Yichen for a long time, but she had never seen any girl spending time with him alone.

“Oh…” Mu Xiaoxiao recalled when she first met Lu Yichen that he had been grave and stern, and he was blunt when he rejected girls. She could imagine that Han Qiqing’s pursuit for his love had been an arduous one.

Han Qiqing sighed. “Sigh, I know he has a girlfriend. So for now, I can only watch him from afar.”

Mu Xiaoxiao was speechless.

She felt a great urge to tell Little Qing. Lu Yichen doesn’t actually have a girlfriend!

But she had promised Lu Yichen to keep the secret. She couldn’t say it, not even to her good friend.

Just as Mu Xiaoxiao entered school today, she noticed something odd with the atmosphere. Ever since she entered through the entrance, people had been wagging their tongues as they lowered their heads and stared at her.

Mu Xiaoxiao felt very uneasy as if she was a monkey in an exhibit.

Passing by the noticeboard, she saw Yu Zhe running towards her, looking serious. He then grabbed her and said frantically, “Xiaoxiao! Come see this quickly. What is the matter with this?”

“What?” Mu Xiaoxiao looked confused as she followed him.

The crowd before the noticeboard saw that she was here, and they opened a path for her.

Mu Xiaoxiao had an ill premonition, and she walked over to take a look. There was a photo on the noticeboard. It was a photo of Lu Yichen and her having a laugh in Blue Café. The photo was even taken very beautifully. One would only think of adultery upon looking at the photo.

She was stunned. “Who put this up?”

Yu Zhe shook his head and brought out his phone. “I don’t know. Take a look. It’s even on the web forum. People have also shared it across every class’s group chats. The situation is bad. They’re all spreading a rumor about you…”

He didn’t dare to continue speaking. Seeing his look of hesitation, she knew it wasn’t anything good.

“How did it turn out like this? Who’s the culprit!” Mu Xiaoxiao was about to blow her top. She only had an innocent meeting with Lu Yichen. How could it turn out like this?

The crowd was pointing fingers at her. It was as if they were poking her brain, giving her a huge headache.

Yu Zhe frowned and said, “I suspect it was Han Xue’er. She’s the greatest suspect. The school already expelled her because of what happened to you. Given her personality, she would definitely hold a grudge and take revenge against you!”

“She’s expelled?” Mu Xiaoxiao hadn’t thought about that. Having heard what Yu Zhe had said, she thought that that would indeed be the most plausible cause.

Yu Zhe said, “Yeah. You should know that expulsion from Shangde is extremely severe. Studying in Shangde is a symbol of status. If she was expelled, her reputation among the rich and powerful families will be ruined! Moreover, given Han Xue’er’s huge ego, she won’t stand for such humiliation.”

Mu Xiaoxiao could only feel a throbbing pain in her temples. She wasn’t worried about Han Xue’er’s revenge, but…

“Xiaoxiao, what’s happening?” Yin Shaojie’s attractive voice suddenly came from behind.

Mu Xiaoxiao was stiff and motionless. She didn’t dare to turn around and look back at him.

Before Yin Shaojie could see the photo on the noticeboard, someone from the crowd reported, “Young Master Jie! You’ve been made a cuckold! Mu Xiaoxiao and Lu Yichen are together. A woman like her is not compatible with you! Break up with her!”

“Yeah! A fickle girl like her is not deserving of Young Master Jie. It would be too easy on her if you only broke up with her. Expel her from the school!”

“Yeah! Get her out of the school! Expel this slut!”

The ones denouncing Mu Xiaoxiao in the crowd were mostly girls.

“What’s going on?” Yin Shaojie frowned as he looked at her. He looked up and saw the photo on the noticeboard, and his expression instantly turned cold.

He turned his cold gaze towards Mu Xiaoxiao, and he asked again, “What’s going on?”

The same words were spoken, but his tone and the meaning implied was different.

“When was this photo taken?” he asked rationally, looking at the photo again at the bottom right hand corner where the date was printed.

This time. Isn’t it…