Proposal

Word count : 3151

Summery: Bucky wants to propose to Tony .... but it doesn't go to plan -

————

"You know, Anthony," Bucky said, putting on his most sincere expression, "we've been together for like a little over a year now, and --"

"If you lead with that, he's going to think you're breaking up with him," Steve pointed out rolling  his eyes at his best friend.

That was true. Tony was prone to jumping to all the wrong conclusions almost constantly; especially where it concerned their relationship. His mind worked faster than anyone's he knew- including himself - one of the things that made him fall in love with the man - but he knew he had to be very cautious.

"Argh!" Bucky ran both hands through his hair, tugging when he got to the base of his skull. "I don't even know how to do this."

"It's Tony," Steve said. "You can't build anticipation, you know that. He'll either not be listening, or he'll spin his wheels trying to figure out what's wrong. Just keep it simple. Preferably after he's had a cup of coffee." Steve smiled trying to lighten the mood, but Bucky only sighed in frustration.

" who knew this would be so hard?" He muttered

Bucky snatched up the little velvet-covered ring box. The ring was simple, a blue and grey crystal merging into each other. He loved it as soon as he saw it- blue for the arc reactor ( his heart) and Bucky's signifies metal arm. even if it was expensive, and custom-designed - It would look nice on Tony's finger. Bucky thought about it for weeks making sure it was made with no edges, so Tony could wear it even when he was working.

"Do you think he'll say yes?" Bucky couldn't help the words that spilled out. Nerves, he guessed. He looked up at Steve with big grey eyes.

"I don't know," Steve said, raw and honest as he always was,... yet completely not helpful. "It's Tony. If I could predict anything he'd do, I'd have fewer headaches."

Bucky snorted. That much was true. Unpredictable was Tony's middle name. "He loves me?" Bucky said. He meant it as a statement, but somehow it sounded more uncertain and he knew the nerves were showing once agin.

"Yes. We all know that," Steve said, rolling his eyes. "And it's not a matter of love, I don't think. He's just... got... issues. Marriage may be one of those things. I mean, you two have been together for almost longer than anyone else he's ever dated. Don't... don't take it to mean he doesn't love you, if marriage isn't something he's up for."

"So, you think I shouldn't --"

Steve sighed. "I think you should," he said, "because you want to."

Bucky tucked the ring back into his jacket pocket. "Okay, one more time, for luck."

Steve rolled his eyes indulgently. "alright, only 'cause I love ya punk."

Bucky drew in a deep breath, reached for the ring. He took Steve's hand in his and knelt down next Steve's chair. He conjured up a picture in his head of his tousle-headed boyfriend, eyes still heavy from sleep, coffee cup in one hand. "Anthony, would you do me the very great honor of agreeing to be my husband?" He presented the little box to Steve.

"Perfect," Steve said, and leaned over to pat Bucky's shoulder . "That was lovely, Bucky, do it just like that. He'll say yes."

——

Tony ducked behind the wall, hiding. His heart hammered in his chest, lungs heaving for oxygen in a world that had suddenly caught fire. No, no, no.