9- Where we left off

Once they arrived at the hospital, the hospital staff rushed Molly out of the ambulance and transported her to her room on a stretcher. Sherlock held her hand while she laid on the stretcher, an oxygen mask over her face, eyes closed. He was walking with the staff to the trauma room, he wanted to be as close to her as possible. He wasn't going to let her go, not again, not ever. Sherlock felt tears sting in his eyes while John reassured him. « She's going to be alright, Sherlock. She's strong, she'll recover... »he said, walking to the trauma room with them. Sherlock wanted to believe him so bad, but he was terrified that Molly would slip away again, and this time for good. He swore to tell her how he felt once she would feel better, even though they had this kiss, he wanted to tell her. With real words. And that was a whole other challenge for Sherlock. Molly was surrounded by hospital staff in her room, trying to get her to breathe normally again and heal her badly injured ankle. Blood was dripping out of the wound while a nurse kept pressure on it.

Sherlock wanted to know what was up with her. He never liked not knowing.

« Is she going to be okay? Tell me she'll be alright. I need to know... »he asked multiple staff members, without getting any satisfying answer. « We'll try our best. » is all he got.

Sherlock ruffled his hair with both his hands as he sunk on a chair in the waiting room. John sat next to him, letting his head fall back on the wall behind them, eyes closed. Lestrade and Mycroft were standing up, arms crossed, looking down. None of them knew what to say or what to do. Sherlock let himself drift off to sleep, exhausted from all the stress.

In her hospital room, Molly woke up with the faint beeping of the monitor attached to her. She slowly opened her eyes, noticing her room was empty. « Sherlock..? » she mumbled, sitting up to see if he was nearby outside her room. She saw him through the window, asleep on one of the chairs in the hallway. She felt a tiny smile crawl on her lips when she saw him, peacefully sleeping. She slowly got up from her bed, wincing when she felt pain shot up in her ankle. She limped to the door, opening it slowly and leaned on the wall for support. « Sherlock...Sherlock, wake up... »she half whispered, half shouted.

Sherlock moved a little bit as his tired eyes opened. He turned his head towards her and greeted her with a warming smile. She noticed he was alone and pointed the chair next to him as if to ask where John was « Oh...he went to get some coffee...he'll be back soon... »he yawned. She nodded in response, tears blurring her vision. Sherlock got up from the chair and walked towards her to engulf her in a bone crushing hug. She nested her face in the crook of his neck while he stroked her hair with one of his hands. « Thank you, Sherlock. For everything... » she managed to say between sobs. Molly crumpled the back of his shirt in her fist as Sherlock wrapped one arm around her waist and his other hand was on the back of her neck, crawling a little bit into her hair.

Sherlock pulled away and said: « Come on, let's get you back to bed...YOu're not supposed to be standing up, especially not with that injured ankle... »he said, winking. He slid one arm under her legs and the other around her waist to sweep her off her feet. They gazed at each other as Sherlock entered the room and laid her back on the bed. When the detective moved away from the bed, she grabbed his wrist swiftly, making his head whip towards her. She still held his wrist while she motioned for him to lay down beside her. « Please... »she said, releasing Sherlock's wrist. « I don't want to be alone...Stay with me, please? » she pleaded.

Sherlock remained silent for a few seconds before a small smile crawled onto his lips. « Of course...Anything you want... »he said, taking a few steps towards the bed. Molly scooted over to give Sherlock some room as he laid down on the bed, facing her. They both gazed in each other's eyes for a moment. Molly suddenly felt something touch her hand, she jumped, but she realized it was only Sherlock's hand, holding hers. « Sorry... »Sherlock muttered, pulling back his hand. « It's okay...you can do it... »said Molly to comfort him. Sherlock intertwined his fingers with hers, squeezing her hand gently. Molly let out a small chuckle, feeling butterflies in her stomach. She guided his hand to her lips, where she kissed the back of it.

Sherlock was a bit surprised at first, but let it happen anyway. « You're not used to this aren't you? Affection? »Molly asked, noticing his reaction. Sherlock took a deep breath and sighed. « I'm not used to emotions in general... »he whispered, grazing his fingertips on her arm. « For example, I just realized what it means to take someone for granted and risking to lose them forever. I also realized what pain and anger really mean. » he continued, gazing at her. Molly licked her lips nervously. « Yeah, I felt that too...A few times... » she whispered. Sherlock remained silent, preparing what he was about to say. Now's the time.

« Molly... »he started. Molly hummed in response. « I want you to know something. » Molly furrowed her brows in confusion as Sherlock looked down and took a deep breath before continuing. « I think...I genuinely think that I've started to have these strong feelings for you... » he said, before directing his gaze back to her. Molly looked at him, her mouth slightly open, waiting for him to finish. « I'm having a hard time trying to cope with them and to understand them...It's like I can't function properly when I think of you...or...you being in harm's way... » Sherlock said, very unsure of her reaction. Molly sat up and pressed her lips in a thin line, eyebrows still furrowed in confusion, as if she was still processing what he said. Sherlock sat up too, unsure of how to handle this. « Why are you doing this? Are you-... » she got cut off by

Sherlock instantly. « Am I making fun of you? Christ, no. I don't even want to think about how many times I've hurt you or about how many times I told you lies or about how many times I put you in danger. I want to be with you, I want to protect you no matter what. »He pleaded, making his way to the other side of the room to join her. He took her hand in his. « I remember what I told you the last time, but this is in the past. I want you to focus on what's happening right now. I want someone to help me understand what I feel and I only want you to do it. » Molly sighed, grabbing her head with both her hands, not believing this was happening. Sherlock just admitted he had feelings for her.

How many years had she waited for that?

Too long. Way too long, but it was happening anyway.

« Do you know how many years I wanted to hear this from you? » She asked. Sherlock went to open his mouth to say something, but she cut him off. « Forever. I've been waiting forever, Sherlock... »she said, a tear rolling down her cheek. She sniffled and continued. « I once more dare to hope that this is true. Because I've been wanting this as much as you seem to want this too. » she said, powerless. Sherlock slowly got closer, step by step. Once he got close enough, he slid one arm around her waist and pulled her closer to his body. Molly shuddered under his touch as he moved a strand of her hair behind her ear. They looked in each other's eyes for a moment. He held her face with one hand and leaned in to kiss her. Molly wrapped her arms around his neck to deepen the kiss.

They immediately pulled away when they heard John clear his throat to make them aware of his presence. John was standing in the doorway, holding a tray with three cups of coffee, confused by what he just witnessed. Sherlock threw his head back in annoyance. « Yes, John. »He said, snatching his cup of coffee form the tray. « I didn't even say anything... » John scoffed. « You're thinking. It's annoying... » Sherlock said, sipping on his cup of coffee. Molly chuckled. « There he is... »she said, giving Sherlock a small nod while she sat back on the bed, bringing her knees to her chest. Sherlock gave her a warming smile and John looked at his two friends, everything was going back to normal.