Mr. Dudley

"This house is full of precious, precious things. And they don't all belong to you."

This scene in specifics destroys me, and just thinking about this scene gets me choked up.

I've watched this series several times, and it is continuously, and absolutely heart breaking.

Mr. Dudley has become one of my favorite characters, he's so full of tragedy and emotion. When he was recounting the experience he and his wife had in the house, including the still-born delivery of their baby and the subsequent haunting of their baby's cries is calamitous. He is such an knowledgeable person. He remains so kind and polite despite Hugh's rebuke.

Having my own father issues, the exchange between Hugh and Steve at the end completely effed me up! Steve quietly apologizes to Hugh after Hugh apologizes for doing what he did to save the kids. And then Hugh says,

"I was so lucky... to have been your dad."

Devastating!

+++adding onto Hill House quotes that I like to remind myself of,

"Journeys end in lovers meeting; I have spent an all but sleepless night, I have told lies and made a fool of myself, and the very air tastes like wine. I have been frightened half out of my foolish wits, but I have somehow earned this joy; I have been waiting for it for so long."

Jackson is so brilliant! MWAH! I love this book.