T h i r t y - E i g h t

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

She waited for the duo on the other side to open the door for her as she pulled all of her weight from one leg to another, all in an attempt to distract her mind from the catastrophe within.

Timothée stood at her side, surely noticing of her movement. He smiled to himself at her innocent nervousness and squeezed her palm, all so she would look up at him and find reassurance. 

"It's going to be okay" He muttered to her, right before they were overwhelmed by bear hugs of affection, ones that ultimately pulled the two apart. 

No hug could compare to that one, except those she shared with the son of the parents that she had at long last, reunited with. All of her thoughts and frets wavered away as though they never existed, for as she stood there, blessed by their heavenous touch, she felt her heart ease, sink into the treasure she had stumbled across. 

Timothée's parents hadn't changed much. Perhaps the hairs on their heads had taken a liking to the color grey, but the smiles on their faces remained as high as she had last seen them, the love flowing out of them graciously as it flowed out of their son.

It wasn't long before she was inside of their house, sitting down on a couch, overwhelmed with the excitement of her return. As opposed to what she thought to herself would happen, they didn't focus on where she was, or what they missed, but on what was happening now, and on the second chance they had all gotten. It brought comfort to her, making her realize, that perhaps, a fresh start was within her reach. 

"I'm so glad to see you two together, you were made for each other" The caring mother congratulated Manon softly as she pulled her in for a side hug, a coffee table filled with her love for baking set in front of two perfectly, covered in creations that Anne-Marie had taught her the recipes for, the most honorable tribute she could think of.

"Thank you, I am too" Manon agreed as she averted her gaze to her side, tracking her boyfriend down as he conversed with his father, Marc, in the kitchen, perhaps catching up on the wonders of filming, or the adventures he had been on throughout his late travels. Whatever it was, Manon gazed at him longingly, a smile of pure joy making it across her features "I don't know what I'd do without him, he makes me really happy".

"I can see that" Nicole mumbled as she caressed Manon's cheek, having missed her far more than she wanted to admit "I know we promised not to speak of the past, but I can't help but wonder, dear, how did you manage all these years"? She queried, taking the girl back to her life after all of the havoc reigned over her.

As Manon thought of all of it, she felt the pain slither between the vulnerable fissures, those that have still not healed from the trauma of it all. There and then, she felt everything flood back in. All of the aches and sorrows, the regrets, and the trapped guilt. How did she manage all these years? She asked herself, and perhaps, the answer was clear. She pushed everything away, but as she sat there and looked at the woman who she had grown up with, the one who would bandage her cuts when she fell, who would sing her and Timothée songs before bed, who would congratulate her whenever she successfully hopped a rock across the lake, who she saw as a mother, she broke into dreadful tears, perhaps because she realized, she didn't have to hold onto anything anymore. 

Nicole wrapped her arms around Manon, immediately pulling her into a warm, shielding hug. She could only imagine that after so many years alone, so much sorrow would overflow, and she knew she couldn't do much but be there for the girl, the one she had missed and loved so much, to the point where even she found herself bursting into tears, sharing Manon's ache.