31. The Elegant Captain Hook

The crew watched, silent and uncertain, when two strangers approached the gangway. Hook's expression was stony as he invited Tinkerbell to board the Second Star. Her stomach flat on the wheeled board, she used her hands to scuttle across the plank. The wheels caught on the lip and Flit was the first to move forward and help her out. Following in Tinkerbell's wake was a woman. This woman carried their belongings in a hefty trunk.

"Are you coming to?" Hook asked gruffly. The woman nodded.

"I'm her care-giver." The woman explained. Hook looked her up and down. The woman was a hired sword, judged by his experienced eyes. She wore men's clothing, ill-matching and loose fitting, but her boots looked expensive. She had a sword on her hip but, glancing at her bulky jerkin, Hook was willing to bet that she had more weapons secreted about her.

Hook blocked her way.

"What's your name?"

"Anne Bonny." It wasn't a name he was familiar with. She hocked up phlegm and spat on the deck. Scrunching his nose in disgust, Hook stepped out of her way. But his gaze followed her suspiciously. She was a killer. There was a flatness to her eyes. She'd taken lives before and she felt very little about it. Hook had seen the type before. It unsettled him.

"Scuttle," he called over his First Mate.

"Captain?"

Hook nodded his head in Anne's direction.

"Keep a close eye on that one."

"Yes, Captain."

*

The wind had died down and Wendy stood at the helm. Hook tentatively approached her. They'd been at sea for nearly a week and Wendy had been avoiding him. She didn't say anything when he stood beside her and Hook breathed a little easier – at least she hadn't moved away from him.

"So, this is Blind Man's bluff." He commented, trying to fill the silence.

"Hmm, seems so." 

The steep cliff was bone white and the waves crashed against the base of the cliffs - thundering like a drum. They'd dropped anchor a little away from the perilous coast.

"The men should be back soon." Scuttle and a few others had left in a small rowing boat - tasked with acquiring a rare flower that Tinkerbell required. 

Wendy crossed her arms, making no reply. Hook clicked his fingers nervously. "We'll have to part ways with Merise soon."

"Why?"

"Tinkerbell says we'll need to leave the sea and go upriver." The mermaid wouldn't be able to live outside of salt water. Wendy finally turned her head to look at him.

"I guess you'll miss her."

"We all will. She's protected us well." He didn't understand the fierceness in Wendy's expression.

"Is that really it? I thought you might miss her more than the others."

Hook frowned, not understanding what she was getting at. "She's very beautiful. With her long hair and womanly... curves." Wendy added. Hook couldn't suppress a surprised laugh.

"Are you jealous?" He teased.

Wendy struck him across the face, her slap leaving a scarlet hand print.