Chapter 21 - Valdis' Claims

Valdis’ heart was beating so loudly it might just pop out of her rib cage. In fact, she was so scared she could faint. Initially, the Priestess had no reason to go to such extremes, claiming that Oliver was a wraith just to know his secret.  Although, she did wish to find a way to break her ties with the church and go look for her family, but definitely not in this manner. Even if her assumption wasn’t completely baseless, since Oliver was quite a gloomy kid with a raging temper, and did in a way cause his mother’s death, but it was outrageous to say that he was a wraith.

Despite that, she had to do it. It wasn’t to save herself or to justify her earlier offense. Even she had to admit that it was quite rash of her to drug the kid and cast an illusory spell on him just after he woke up. Her curiosity and greed got the best of her and her retribution came earlier than expected. Still, she could’ve dealt with the situation and cleared her name with ease. She prided herself best in her hypnotic abilities which were put to use on a maid, compelling her to do her bidding. It was one of the girls responsible for bringing lunch to Oliver who used a vial she gave her to secretly spike the meal and was made to confess her actions should the plan fall through. As long as Valdis claimed she was only brought back to the room to check on the collapsed kid on his butler’s request, all would’ve been well.

Who would’ve thought that when she went to her room to send an emergency signal to her teacher, a voice she couldn’t place spoke to her all of a sudden. It was a whisper and a screech blended together, sounding both demonic and saintly. It came from inside and outside of her head simultaneously. She shook in fear as a dreadful pressure gripped her heart in a constricting grasp, and her ears buzzed at the auditory aggression both overwhelming and dulling her other senses. Its command clear and forceful: “Bring him to me.” That’s all it said and yet she could somehow make sense of the instruction. There was no room for defiance or resistance. She had to do it.

Looking at the stupefied face of the kid in front of her, Valdis felt slightly apologetic. No matter what, he was too young, yet suffered unbearably so. This would probably destroy however little familial affections he had to his father.   But what about her? She was also taken from her family because of her special constitution to serve the church regardless of her parents’ objections. The high priest forced them to sever their ties and never meet again. They put a very powerful binding spell on her that would alert them of any intentions she had of running away. She wasn’t even sure of the identity of the spell caster that condemned her to a life of so little freedom, but she instinctively knew she can’t break the shackles with any sort of magic. Now she reckons that the voice belongs to her true capturer. Maybe it was for the best that her family wasn’t around anymore. Her life wasn’t any easier nor was it any more pleasant than the teenager’s.

Each is for their own. She can’t be blamed for his weakness; nor could she afford to sympathize with him at her own expense. With a newfound determination she continued: “Lord, if you allow me to take Oliver back to the church with me, I can attempt resurrecting your wife!”

At her words, you could hear a loud intake of breaths echoing in the hall, each evincing the shock and agitation at the absurd notion of bringing someone back from the dead.

Mikel’s heart constricted. His emotions whirled out of his control in instant. He could have his Mia back! As a glimmer of hope was brought forth by the girl’s statement, he stood up on shaky legs, expectantly awaiting her affirmation that he could reclaim his happiness again. In his anxiousness, Mikel failed to notice his son’s pained gaze as he looked at the yearning and eagerness of his father’s.  

Wang Shu's eyes glistened with tears despite his struggle to hold his heartache and pain that were certainly not his. He could feel his blood bubble with rage and Oliver’s remnants simmering with resentment at the total disregard for his life.