Chapter 1

A person is never one hundred percent sane when they can see the future. It started with the words: "I see death" and ended with the words: "I feel like I'm going crazy."

The feeling of foreboding surrounded the college campus thicker than the southern mist that covered the small town of Overbrook, Alabama. Wordsworth Lane, apartment 702, was the residence for three individuals: Troy Henderson, Kirby Kidmore, and China Young. As Troy and China were studying for the midterms for their summer classes, they never expected their lives to change with such intensity.

The apartment door swung open to reveal a figure dripping with red liquid. Kirby, covered in blood, stood in the doorway of the apartment, his chest pumping up and down. In his hand was a small squishy flesh-like ball, about the size of a miniature football. His eyes were bloodshot red as he stepped forward into the light of the apartment.

Troy and China both leaped from their seats. "Um, Kirby, what the fuck happened to you?" China asked.

Troy eased forward. "Yeah, are you okay?"

"Oh my God! Is that blood?"

Kirby stepped forward, his hair literal spider webs of blood and guts. His hand reached out to reveal a small animal heart. His eyes began to roll to the back of his head and he tilted forward. In a ghostly voice, he said:

"This town will be full of death,

With my own eyes--there isn't much left.

I see spiritual growth and

a coven formed through the blood oath.

I see insanity rising until she fails,

and I see the thirteen Children of Hell.

I SEE THE DEATH OF INNOCENCE!"

He took a large bite out of the animal heart.

"All because of the seer's sixth sense."

Kirby took another bite out of the animal heart.

"Oh, my God!" China squealed and vomited on the floor. She turned away.

Troy stood there, in a trance, watching Kirby bite into the animal heart, which Troy knew was possibly a deer heart. He watched as Kirby fell into the floor, his eyes still bloodshot, pupils dilated, and his lips still warm of the blood. Something started to stir inside of Troy's inside, and he didn't know what it was. There was something--weird--something different about the way he felt. He turned his head and saw China still freaking out from what had just happened, but he was intrigued by it. He was a little grossed out, but still rather intrigued, and he didn't know why.

He knelt down beside Kirby and touched his shoulder, and he felt his chest rise and fall. He sighed of relief knowing that he was still alive, but as his hand remained on Kirby's body, he could feel his entire arm starting to burn from an uncomfortable sensation. He pulled away and looked into Kirby's eyes.

***

Troy was an art student at Overbrook University. He had dreams of becoming a painter, but the way things were working out for him, he felt like he just wanted to end up becoming an elementary school art teacher. He was currently taking a summer art class to catch up on graduation credits. He was rooming with China, who was the original owner of the two bedroom apartment they were currently residing in. Kirby, a computer science major, was also taking summer classes at Overbook University.

"Here, drink this, Kirby," said Troy. He handed him a glass of iced water.

"I'm fine," Kirby coughed.