The Smell of Blood

The Smell of Blood

I slowly opened my eyes as the bright morning sunlight hit my face. I felt the warmth of the sun caress my small body as the blankets that hugged me during the night, were peeled off by my slender fingers. The French window was slightly opened on the left, between me and my roommate’s beds. I rolled out of my warm bed, and let my two feet hit the dark hardwood floor. I felt the coldness of the floor touch the bottom of my feet, and the cold chill of air hit my skin; it sent shivers down my spine. I rapidly got up from where I was sitting, and took everything I needed to take a quick shower. When I was finished, I put my black uniform on, in record time, and I took a quick glance in the mirror to adjust my skirt, my knee socks, and my hair, then hung up my towels. I left the bathroom, and saw Yori adjusting her hair. She noticed that I was ready, and we both grabbed our books for class, and made our way outside the dorm. Zero was waiting for me outside the building. His silver hair messy as usual, and his back was leaning against the cold cement wall, with his arms crossed, and his red tie hanging loosely around his neck.

“Hey Zero, you know that you don’t have to wait for me every morning right?” I said as I lifted my head in his direction.

“Yeah, whatever Yuuki”, Zero replied with the same expression on his face. “Let’s go”, he added. Zero has never really been talkative to me, ever since four years ago when the chairman brought him home. You’d think that after four years of living with someone they’d be more open with you. We went to almost all of our lectures of the day, and it was almost the end of our last one. This lecture was boring today, I just took so many notes on math; I sucked at it. I don’t even know what our sensei is speaking about half of the time. The clock hit three, and class was now over. I got up from my bench that I shared with Yori, and I turned to face her.

"I'm glad that's over", I said to her.

"Miss Yuuki Cross, you know I can still hear you eh?” my sensei said. My body froze, and I immediately felt my blood rise to the surface of my face.

"S-sorry sir", I said facing him.

"Next time, keep your comments to yourself", he said with an unpleased look on his face.

"Yes sir", I replied fairly quickly.

I quickly grabbed my books, and headed out the door with Yori and Zero by my side. Yori started laughing at me, her chest rising, and falling quickly as she giggled about what I just had done. Her smile lightening up the dark brown hallway. Her ginger hair moving, with her short loosely curled locks that were flowing with the slight breeze in the room.

"You're an idiot sometimes, you know that?" Zero said to me, as we walked outside. I just turned my head, and gave him a glare.

"I'm gonna head back to the dorm now, it's getting late, and the rules are that the day class aren’t allowed outside after all the lectures are over for the day, plus I'm tired", Yori said to me, as she gave me a quick smile, and walked away.

"Okay, see ya!” I shouted to her.

"You know, you're probably not doing so well in math, nor any of your classes to be honest, because you don't get enough sleep", Zero said to me in a serious tone.