Chapter 40 ~ Mila

Chapter 40 ― Mila

I wasn’t expecting to see him in my living room. Honestly, I never thought Moni was going to let him in and I wondered how this happened. But that faded into the background of my mind as my heart raced and all I could see was him. I hadn’t looked into his eyes in three weeks and my whole body had missed him, but at the same time having him there pained so much. My mind, my pride couldn’t let me forget that it was his fault all I had to go through, because he couldn’t shut up.

I wasn’t sure what his plan was, and I wasn’t sure if I had to do what he asked for or just walk away and hide in my room, surrounded by the familiarity of that place where I felt safe. But even if my mind kept telling me that I should walk away, that it was still too soon, my feet didn’t move as he started playing a tune that got to my heart. The exact moment when I recognised the melody I wanted to start crying. It was the effect that song had on me, always. But the fact that Zayn was there, playing it in front of me with his brown and beautiful eyes locked on me… it made it a hundred times more painful.

If you ever leave me baby,
Leave some morphine at my door

‘Cause it would take a whole lot of medication

To realise what we used to have,
We don’t have it anymore.

He sang and my knees were shaking, threating me with letting me fall to the floor. Bruno Mars was one of my favourite musicians ever and that song in particular was my weak point. I always felt the pain in Bruno’s voice, but now that Zayn was singing it… it was different, it was even more painful and his voice was tearing my heart apart.

There’s no religion that could save me
No matter how long my knees are on the floor

So keep in mind all the sacrifices I’m makin’

Will keep you by my side

Will keep you from walkin’ out the door.

I had to cover my mouth with my hand and fight the tears back. He was staring right into my soul and I knew he was being sincere. I always knew it.

Cause there’ll be no sunlight
If I lose you, baby

There’ll be no clear skies
If I lose you, baby

Just like the clouds

My eyes will do the same, if you walk away

Everyday it will rain, rain, rain...

He skipped the second verse and I understood why he did. He was using the parts of the song he needed to express what he wanted.

Don’t just say, goodbye

I’ll pick up these broken pieces ’til I’m bleeding

If that’ll make it right

Cause there’ll be no sunlight

If I lose you, baby

There’ll be no clear skies
If I lose you, baby

Just like the clouds

My eyes will do the same, if you walk away

Everyday it will rain, rain, rain...

He let his hand fall over the strings one more time and the melody faded away in the room, his eyes still on me, waiting for a reaction from my end of the situation. My heart was beating so fast and I was torn between breaking down crying and just staying there, frozen in the middle of the living room.