3. Swords and Close Calls

"Mother of all that is holy!" Katherine shrieked once we got into my room. I flopped onto my bed backwards as Katherine closed the door. "Oh my goodness he looks so handsome! Did you see the way he looked at me?!" I asked, giddy.

"He was staring at you with puppy eyes! Do you know how long I've been waiting for this to happen?!" Katherine squealed, jumping onto the bed next to me, causing me to bounce. I giggled.

Suddenly, Katherine gasped. I looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

"You should go find him!" She said, poking me repeatedly in the side. I shook my head rapidly. She laughed and nodded her head continuously.

"I'll do that once you go talk to my brother." I replied, smugly. Her head stopped moving and her face reddened. She's had feelings towards Johnathon ever since I could remember. "You need to woman up and just tell him." I stated, standing up. She sat up and rubbed her face.

"But he's with a different girl every night." Katherine complained.

"Then tell him how you feel and he'll change." I replied, changing into pants and a shirt from my brothers.

"That's easy for you to say. You haven't told Alexander how you feel for years!" Katherine defended as I strapped on my sword. I grabbed my cape and put it on, covering my attire and my sword.

"You know, your father will kill you if he sees you in that." Katherine said, concerned.

"That's why we practice in one of the old training rooms. I'll see you before supper, Katherine." I said, walking out of my room. She sighed and walked out after me.

I walked quickly to the training room where I meet my brothers everyday an hour after lunch. I walked into the big room and heard my brothers fencing. Looks like they're both teaching me today.

"Welcome to class, Angelica." Nathaniel said, sheathing his sword. "We have a special guest today." He gestured to Johnathon and John waved at me. I waved back and tossed off my cape.

"What's today, teacher?" I asked as I stretched.

"Self defense against multiple persons." Nathaniel smirked. I stopped stretching and looked at both of my brothers.

"So I get to beat up both of you?" I asked, smirking. Both of my brothers grimaced, but nodded.

"Let's start. No sword this time." Johnathon began, walking into a more open space that's somewhat blocked by the door, in case anyone was to walk in. I took off my sword and followed him. Once we were at the designated practicing area, Nathaniel and Johnathon put up their hands. I took a deep breath and readied myself.

"Your goal is to get both of our swords away from us. Ready?" I nodded.

"Go!" Johnathon ordered. I shook out my hands and Nathaniel advanced. We circled a bit, then Johnathon tried to take me by surprise. He went for my leg, but I dodged and tried to grab his sword. Nathaniel came from behind me and picked me up. I kicked him in the area and he collapsed.

I got up and grabbed his sword, pointing it at Johnathon. He smirked and drew his own. As I advanced, suddenly, the door creaked open. I froze and hid behind the barrier we had put up in case something like this happened. My heart hammered in my chest. If papa found out I cross dressed... let's just say that it won't turn out good.

"Really, Nathaniel? You could've done better than that!" Johnathon said loudly, helping Nathaniel up.

"Hello, gentlemen." Alex said. I heard footsteps stop and I shrunk back into my corner. He can't see me like this. It'd ruin everything we worked for.