"Best that ever was"

Chapter 1 – Idaho Forever

I was born and raised on a 600 acre farm ranch in Northern Idaho. It can be a tough life if you are not prepared. You have to be a hard worker and you need to be self-sufficient. In other words you need to be a farmer, rancher, vet, nurse, handyman, machinist and most of all, hunters, to survive and thrive. My dad was just this kind of man. Our farm ranch consisted of 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a wraparound porch, a very large 6 bay garage, machine shop, hay storage sheds, corrals and pens for the livestock and our 4 bay tractor shed. We have a river that runs thru the south portion of the ranch along with 1 stock pond and a 2 acre lake. We grow alfalfa and some grain to sell along with cattle and vegetables that my Momma grows in her 2 acre garden. Momma also has an orchard with apples, peaches and cherry trees. My Dad also makes a big part of his living repairing anything that is mechanical. I guess, we do Ok.

My first memories of life on the ranch consist of me helping my Dad feed the pigs, chickens and cattle every morning at 6:30am. Even at 6 years old, I was out every day with my Dad doing our chores. I would then be driven to my pre-school by my Mom. She would kiss my forehead and tell me to make friends and be nice to people. She was a great Mom. I love her so much. In the spring and summer, when I got home from school, my Dad would be waiting for me so that we could walk the fields to see if we need to water the hay fields. My Dad was teaching me how to run the ranch from an early age. Though I did not know it at the time, this was most helpful later in my life.

It's a crisp early spring morning here in northern Idaho. There is still snow in the mountains and about a foot of new snow on the ground today. The animals are starting to come out of their winter hibernation and are looking for food, so are we.

I am hunting with my 2 Uncles and Dad. My Uncles are not real Uncles but very good friends with my dad. They all served in the same unit of US Marine Corps and got thru the Vietnam War together in one piece. Also, my two Uncles are black men.

So, here we sit in the freezing cold waiting for Elk, deer or Moose to come by. I sure hope we get Elk; my mom can cook a mean elk steak. Dad and Uncle Moses are about 50 feet away from me and Uncle Abe just waiting for the herd. Uncle Abe said, "get down Joe and stay quiet I can feel them coming."

"I am ready Abe; just waiting for my Elk". I told him.

"There is nothing on this mountain you can take down with that 22 rifle" Uncle Abe tells me.

"Then why did I bring it, I could have taken the 308" Joe tells his Uncle. "The 308 is too big for you Joe but you will grow into it. Your only 7 years old give it time" Uncle Abe tells the young child.

Right then, shot rings out, my Dad with his trusty Winchester 70 takes down a 1200 pound Elk at about 300 feet. I jump up and yell "great shot Dad. Mommas' going to be cooking up Elk steaks this weekend".

Uncle Abe grabs me and whisper shouts at my dad and Uncle Moses. "Griz, Griz, Griz".

My dad looks, as the Griz lumbers down to the elk that my Dad just shot. I can see his eyes get very wide and he drops down with Uncle Moses to the ground. They crawl over to us and we are all very quiet. My dad, me, Uncles Abe and Moses crawl out of the area.

Once we are out of the small canyon and heading to the horses, I ask my dad "why did we let the Griz take our meat."

"Son, 2 things you don't mess with in Idaho, Griz and the Wolf. Griz are very hard to kill and they will eat you." Grabbing me and knelling down so we are eye to eye, my dad tells me "promise that you will never mess with a Griz."

"Dad, I am not afraid of the Griz, when I get older and grow into the 308 I'll take it down" My dad slaps me – hard. He shouts "Joe Best, you never ever go against a Griz. If I ever hear y'all messed with the Griz, me and you will have a "Come to Jesus" meeting and you, son, will end up very bloody and hurt. Do you understand?" He was mad.