21

ETHAN
Saturday Night, September 30

Emma and I haven't spoken much on the drive back, but it's a companionable sort of silence.

By the time we get back to the city, it's nearly eleven, and the crisp dryness of the early evening has given way to a relentless rain that soothes away the sharp edges of the night.

Then again, that could be the effect of the woman beside me. I'd never have thought that Emma Chamberlain could have a calming quality. From the very beginning, she's always been the fuel that lights my flame, the spark that sets me on fire.

Emma sighs as I turn onto Park toward her apartment building. "I use to love the rain."

I glance over, the city lights playing shadows off her profile. "Use to?"

"Until I got a dog."

"Juno's not a fan?"

"She's fine with rain as long as there's no thunder. And if there's no umbrella within twenty feet of her. 

Oh, and did I mention she freaks out if I wear a hood?" She touches her hair. "Bye-bye, good hair day."

"I'll take her."

She looks over. "What?"

"I'll walk Juno."

"You are not walking my dog."

"Why not? I've done it before when you were out of town."

"Yes, but I didn't ask you to. I asked Amanda. She betrayed me."

"Yeah, a real Judas, that one. Look, you didn't ask me then, and you're not asking me now. I'm volunteering."

"You have your car."

"Which—and brace yourself for this news flash—can be parked."

"There's not that much street parking. My apartment building has a garage, but it's . . . expensive," she finishes as I pull into said garage.

"Really?" I say, rolling down the window and punching the button for a ticket. "You have no qualms about my dropping four digits on your clothing, but you're worried about—" I glance at the sign with the parking prices. "Damn, that is expensive parking."

"Right?" She unbuckles her seat belt. "If you turn around now, you can sweet-talk the attendant, tell her that you came in here by accident."

I ignore her as I pull into an available spot and turn off the engine. She huffs. I grin.

"Okay, fine. But you taking my dog out does not make us even," she says as we climb out of the car and walk toward the elevators. "That dinner was horrendous."

I laugh. "It really was, wasn't it?"

"Does Felicia always show up for dinner?"

"No, but it's become more frequent the past couple years."

"Has your mom ever brought one of her . . . guys?"

"Nope. Felicia's divorced, but my mom's guys have always been married. I don't think their wives would be keen on them coming over for a cozy dinner party."

She shakes her head as we step into the elevator. "You know, I've seen a lot of weird stuff in Manhattan. Open marriages aren't nearly as uncommon as you'd think. But this is the first time I've seen the other woman join the family for dinner, complete with son and new girlfriend."

"You're welcome for the novel experience." I keep my voice light, but I feel her watching me.

"Does it bother you?"