TWENTY-THREE

"I am free."

Word Count: 570

Word Count: 570

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

I could scarcely look at Francesco at meals anymore. It was fortunate that he went away to work each day, because as long as he continued to accept his inevitable execution, I couldn't bear to be in his presence. It felt like he had given up. It felt like he was ready to die.

The day before we were supposed to have been married, Francesco caught me as I passed from the study on my way to my room with a book in hand.

"Are you on your way to work with Messer Parisi?" I asked drily, unable to look him in the eye.

"Yes."

"Have a good day then." I made my way towards the steps.

"Alice, wait," he breathed.

I paused on the lowest step, but I did not turn around. "Yes?"

"I cannot bear this any longer."

My fingers gripped the book tightly, my nails digging into the leather binding.

"Please, look at me," he pleaded.

I turned slowly, my eyes lifting to meet his, but I pinched my lips firmly to keep them from trembling. I had cried far too much over the past week. Surely my tears should have all dried up by now.

"Tomorrow," he said resolutely with a finger pointed at the ground. "Tomorrow, I will marry you, and I will make you my wife if it's the last thing I do. Then I will live every minute I can with you, because every moment God gives me is a moment I should spend with you."

My lip wobbled, but I bit down hard on it.

"Tell me you at least still want that."

It hurt to breathe, but I drew a breath to respond. To tell him I only wanted that.

Before I could reply, a knock sounded at the door.

It was another messenger.

I ran to the door, attempting to rip the letter from Francesco's hand when I heard it came all the way from Florence.

We read it together, and this time I saw the true words of Lorenzo written on the paper, not the informal facts from a secretary.

Dear Francesco and Alice, I was surprised to receive a letter from each of you within the span of a day. It appears you each wrote without the other's knowledge. I hope this letter finds you both well now. To address Alice first, I feel I must say thank you. You may not know this, but I believe you saved my friend. To Francesco, I do not think we will ever have a relationship again, but I am hoping to start a new chapter in my life beginning with a mercy long overdue. Live your life, Francesco. Marry your love, and live each day to the fullest. Learn to trust others, learn to love others, and learn to be happy again. Your love for each other is evident in your letters. To interfere it with it feels like interfering with God's good work. You will probably never hear from me again, but know that I genuinely hope you both find happiness in your lives. Sincerely, an old friend.

Looking up to Francesco, I found my own tears and distraught expression mirrored on his face.

"Francesco?" I asked, wanting desperately to know his thoughts first.

"I am free," he gasped.