CHAPTER ONE: Alone

Soundtrack:
Magic Shop by BTS
(방탄선연단) original

°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

CHAPTER ONE: Alone

Biting your nails anxiously, you looked up at the nurse behind the front desk when your name was called.
"Yes?" You asked standing up from your seat.
"Is my grandmother okay?"
You've been in the hospital for almost 5 hours now. The hospital had called you that morning, saying that your grandmother was rushed to the hospital due to hypertension.
Mid-terms were coming up, but your grandmother was more important.

"She's awake, but her condition is getting worse"

'Getting worse? But she was active and hyper just a few months ago?'

You thought to yourself while fidgeting with your fingers. Your grandmother had always been a healthy person, always moving like she was in her 20's. That must have been the reason why you've always felt more comfortable around her. Your grandmother took both the role of being your mother and bestfriend at the same time, ever since you were a child. And seeing her limply laying on a hospital bed, barely able to stand-up. It was heartbreaking.

"Can I see her?" You asked with a small smile to mask your worry.

"Visiting hours ends in 15 minutes, so you'll have to be quick. Here's the key to her room"

Taking the key from her hands, you mumbled a low 'thank you' and headed to room 1003.
The smell of alcohol, air conditioner and latex gloves fills your lungs as you push the door open, seeing your grandmother with her eyes closed on the bed, with a dextrose.
A nurse was standing next to her with a writing something on the bunch of papers in her hand.
You knocked softly on the open door to catch the nurses attention.
"Excuse me?"
Her eyes travel towards you, a smile on her face.
She was a pretty woman with a tall frame, really pale skin, blond hair, and a pair of small lips. You suddenly wonder why this woman chose to be a nurse when she can be a model instead.
"Are you Mrs. Kang's granddaughter?" She asks, tucking the pen away inside her uniform's pocket.

You nod and slowly walk inside, closing the door behind you and sitting down on the empty couch on the right side of the room.

"She's resting for a while, Mrs.Kang has been awake for quite some time now so I told her to rest while your not here."

"How long has she been awake?"
You ask with a frown on your face, guilty that you weren't in here to greet her when she woke up.

"Just a few hours before you arrived. She refused to eat, saying that she wanted to see you first"
You felt even more guilt seep into you because of the statement, nodding slightly.
It was a miracle that your professor let you skip class again today, despite the upcoming mid-term exam next month.
Your bestfriend Jihyo had also offered to drive you to the hospital when you told her what happened.
She insisted to drive you home too but you refused, knowing that her father was a strict man.

Suddenly, you felt a soft furry thing rub onto your ankle and you quickly look down, only to see your grandmother's white cat.

What was it's name again?

You bend down to pet the top of it's head, emitting a low purr from it, which makes your lip curl into a small smile.

"How did you get here?" You asked in a whisper, continuing to scratch the back of it's ear.
The cat tilts it's head up a tiny bit, causing something to flash light into your eyes. It was a collar with a tag on it.

Yoongi

"Miss?"
Your head shoots up, to see the nurse standing across from you, holding the door knob.

"I'll check on Mrs. Kang later, just press the button above you if something happens."

You nod at her, straightening up from your seat and clutching your phone to your side. You were slightly embarassed for an unknown reason, but the smile on her face filled with concern quickly dissipates the flush on your cheeks.

"Everything will be okay miss. I'm Dahyun by the way, nice to meet you."
Were her last words before closing the door behind her, completely leaving you in a silent room with your grandmother.

Will everything really be okay?

Your grandmother has never been in this condition before and not only were you worried about the elderly woman that raised you, but you were also afraid of  being left alone once again.

The memories of your childhood quickly flashed into your mind. Years of being trapped inside the house you once considered your home.

Alone...

You don't want to be left by yourself again.

A fragile voice shook you away from your thoughts, and you look beside you to see your grandmother awake with a smile.

Why is everyone smiling? There's nothing good about anything...

"Grandma..."
You whimper, unable to hold back the tears in your eyes as they slowly pour down your cheeks.
You ran to her side, careful not to put your weight on her as you let the old woman embrace you in a tight hug.

"What's wrong sweetie?--"

"I'm sorry grandma, I'm so so sorry..."

It went silent for a long period of time. Only your sobbing along with the movement of fabric could be heard inside the room.

You felt the bed dip beside you and you wipe the tears in your eyes to see the familiar white cat looking at you with it's deep black eyes, as if it understood the situation.

You ignored the weird feeling inside of you and snuggled into your grandmothers arms, inhaling her homely scent.

"I don't want to be alone..."